SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Transplanting/dividing in fall_LONG

greyandamy
12 years ago

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, it does to me. There's a tremendous amount of perennnials that will need moved, divided come EARLY spring or FALL (We're not into autumn yet!)...The crazy daisys are one as I keep staring at them through the window.

I read in a "helpful gardening guide" (smile) as to when to move/divide when. They say with dasies (crazy shastas) to wait until spring. Can it be done in fall? I don't know what their roots are like?

I have short shastas that I've moved in late spring, early summer without much distress, but those were different kind.

Does anyone... not look forward to... the dividing or more so, moving to give "elbow space" to perennials that have decided over the years to outgrow their spots?

Astilbes, they've taken over... I read they can be moved in fall. I always keep in shade as they need so much water (then again, they are over roots)... I read you can grow in part sun or even sun with lots of water... do any of you grow in sun? I'm a zone 6er, PA.

Blackspot roses, from seed, used to be mini's, the blackspot is now fading but is it worth it? I'm too lazy to try to treat with the "treatments"... must you do a thorough fall cleanup underneath? So tempted to yank, but..

I have a ton of what I thought were virginia bluebells. Pretty blue flowers early spring, looked like bluebells. They were placed around (shade), they bulked, then picked up and are huge...taking over. But I read that virginia bluebells go dormant shortly after bloom, by summer. These aren't dormant, at all. Should they be? They have green, not unattractive, but kind of jaggy (like course hairs) rounded leaves. I'm tempted to move them to more sun, maybe I babied too much. IF that's what they are... I pray they aren't pretty blue weeds. I can't find a GOOD picture of their foliage, just their flowers.

LIke I've seeen in some of your threads, I'm tired by now... but some say they get a pickup (energy?)come fall? I Hope!

Sorry for this being so long

Amy

Comments (9)