SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growitnow

mole attack! Lining bottom of bed with wire mesh??

growitnow
14 years ago

Hello,

I have a consistent mole problem. They tunnel in three 24-ft beds. The beds are only about 2.5ft wide. They've disrupted so many new or established plantings that end up dying because the roots dry out when a tunnel passes underneath. I've replaced some plants multiple times (baptisa, they've ruined several clematis which is frustrating because the vines take 2-3 years to establish, then whammo! they die and I discover a mole tunnel in root zone). This has been going on for years and I'm fed up with it!

I've tried castor oil liquids and granules and for a while even traps and commercial poisons - sorry but I just go fed up. I've resisted applying granular grub/insect poisons because of our dogs who occasionally rummage in the beds --for the moles!.

I read somewhere that lining the bottom of a planting bed with wire mesh will prevent moles/voles from entering the bed. It would be a lot of work to dig everything out, place mesh, then replant. But I'm seriously thinking about doing it as a more permanent fix.

Has anyone ever done this? Any tips? Does it last? Are there reasons not to do it that you only discover later??

Thanks for any help, I'd really appreciate feedback, I'm tired of fighting this uphill battle!

growitnow

zone 7, Va

Comments (4)