SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daramus

Using mesquite and palo verde to improve soil

daramus
10 years ago

I am new to gardening and I live in the Phoenix area. I struggled this past summer with the heat and keeping plants alive. My garden spot gets full sun and most of plants struggled in the hottest part of summer.

I noticed that the volunteer mesquite and palo verde plants that came up all over my yard during the monsoon rains were flourishing - even in the extreme heat! I had an idea to use these native plants as a green manure crop in one of my beds this next summer. They are legumes and supposedly "fix" nitrogen into the soil, they have deep roots with a very long taproot, and they grow in the native soil with very little water. Is this a waste of time? I can sprout the seeds with no problem and I have access to literally thousands of them in the summer time. The seedpods are everywhere!

Just this week I dug up a mesquite and a palo verde that had been growing all summer. Both plants were between 1-2' tall. I did not see and nodules on the root systems indicating that the nitrogen fixing was taking place. Is that something they do later in life? Or perhaps should I try using some commercial inoculants prior to planting? If they are not fixing the nitrogen is there any point in using them in this manner?

I tried calling my local extension office, but I have yet to get a call back. I just like the idea of a low-maintenance crop that helps the soils during the time of year that I hate being outside quite honestly. Anyone have any idea if this could be a viable way to improve the soil in my garden?

Comment (1)