SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timeandmoney_gw

small aquarium maintenance - betta

14 years ago

I'm trying to get an idea about maintenance of a 1 gal aquarium with a betta.

I initially bought the aquarium because my kids (2 year olds) love bubbles -- it looked bare with just the bubble stone, so I added lucky bamboo -- the roots looked sad uncovered, so I added gravel (Schulz Aquatic Plant Soil/Turface). It clouded up, then cleared when I used some EasyBalance from the pet store.

So now I've had this lovely little crystal clear bubble tank for a few months, and it's begging for a fish. My question is how much more work will it be?

From what I've read on the forum, the 1 gal is too small for a filter, but everyone suggests different water changes, from a little every day to 100% every two weeks. Is a vacuum/siphon really necessary? Won't the plants handle the fish waste? Will I have to empty the whole thing and clean it every week? As it is I add water about every 10 days to replace what's lost to the bamboo and evaporation -- will the plants' water use affect the fish?

I know I'll need water conditioner (well water, softened). This EasyBalance says it allows longer times between water changes, but how much longer? How do you know when to change it? I know a dead fish is a clue, but if it's going to come to that I'd rather not start! So what further care will be required adding a betta to a small planted, aerated tank? (not in direct sun, no algae, house temp 77)

TIA for any help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County