SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editornj

Scared of seed exchange forum....

editornj
15 years ago

You are the nicest board, I'm scared to go anywhere else!

If I'm looking for a specific seed, that's the place to go, though, right? I'm just nervous.

Thanks.

Comments (23)

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Dont be scared! It looks more intimidating than it really is! :)
    What particular seed are you looking for?;)

• seedmama
    15 years ago

Do you have specific concerns we could address? 99% of all transactions will go well. Occasionally there's a scammer, but most people are very nice. Take a look at the conversations side to familiarize yourself with the way things are done there.

And are you aware of the Rate & Review forum? It may provide useful information on what you might expect from a particular trader. Be sure to read the instructions for R&R, especially before you post. There is only supposed to be one thread per trader. You'll see.

Chemocurl is the self appointed "resident busybody" at the Exchange. If you misstep she will gently nudge you in the right direction. She also keeps an eye out for the occasional scammer.

Let us know if you have specific concerns.

• Related Discussions

Come Join Our Tomato Seed Swap at the RR Exchange Forum!

Q

Comments (1)
    Like I don't have enough varieties to try already (sigh). Count me in! Paul
    ...See More

interested in a 'canadian native seed/plant exchange forum'?

Q

Comments (3)
    Consider joining the North American Native Plant Society. Despite the name (it was formerly the Canadian Wildflower Society), it has largely Canadian members and has an annual, by mail, seed exchange for members. Anyone can buy seed (nominal cost to cover mailing) but donors get a special deal. Members across Canada collect seed and mail it to NANPS who then publish a list of available seed. Judy Here is a link that might be useful: NANPS
    ...See More

interested in a 'canadian native seed/plant exchange forum'?

Q

Comments (1)
    Bumping this back up to the top of the forum in case there are any new members that would like to sign on. If you are interested, please follow the link and add your name or username ot the list of interested folks. Please do not reply here, use the link and add your name to the correct list. Thanks Barb southern Ontario, CANADA
    ...See More

Garden Exchange - please get on topic- other forums for plants/seeds

Q

Comments (5)
    While I understand and agree with the effort to have this forum focus on plant trades, I notice a far greater problem--a post which has apparently been up since March 30th, openly selling a range of products. Does nobody care, or has Houzz eliminated any administrators who will delete such a post? While I wish the seller success in his/her business, this sort of thing is blatantly against the rules and can seriously damage this forum. Posting an item in the "wrong" forum is pretty minor in comparison. This post: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2956976/south-american-seed-collections-salvias-san-pedro-and-more
    ...See More
  • agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

seedmama made some awesome points...as usual!;)

You really have alot of people to watch your back there,even if you don't know it! If someone sees something amiss they speak up and we all run to the conversation side to discuss it!...lol...You really should check in there,I think it would settle your nerves immensely!:)

Just so you know last year I was a scared newbie...lol..I freaked out a million times,but everyone steered me through it and seed trading now is a real passion of mine! I love the people and, of course the seeds! Dont hold back too long though,there are some GREAT offers on the table there as we speak...of course that is just a guess,I haven't been looking!;)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Chemocurl is the self appointed "resident busybody" at the Exchange. If you misstep she will gently nudge you in the right direction. She also keeps an eye out for the occasional scammer.

Hmmm...I 'thought' I heard someone talking about me...lol

editornj,

I saw your post at the Seed Exchange and was your first reply...well the only one so far. You did a fine job at posting there. I noted that you didn't have an email link set up on your Member Page so folks could easily reach you. You don't want to maybe miss out on any great trades, now do you?

we are just as a friendly of a bunch over there as these great folks are here. Actually a lot of members frequent both of the forums.

Don't be nervous now. You are among friends. Hear?

âº

Sue...aka resident busy body

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

editornj,
    don't worry, you're not alone.
    :)
    I been hanging out at GW for a long time and that forum still scares the beejeezums outta me. lol.
    I seriously don't know why it seems so intimidating as I know there are some awesome and friendly people there, but it just does!

Don't be nervous though, they'll take good care of you.

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

First, it sucks being new anywhere... at least for me it does.

Secondly, the seed exchange requires you to give out personal information to strangers... something we would never normally do on the Internet. You have to be able to trust this stranger with something of value... small though it might be.

Third, it's tough to balance the exchange mentally. You want to fair to both sides. You want to make sure you send enough seed, but at the same time, you are tusting a stranger to send you a fair value for the exchange.

And now.... maybe I'll be brave and check it out! Just the thing I need, one more addiction! ;)

• dorisl
    15 years ago

You just start out slow, make a small trade or request some sasbe seeds. You'll build up some confidence in the system and before you know it, you'll be joined in the big swaps and having tons of fun.

• rosebush
    15 years ago

Editornj,
    Jump in and try it! It's so much fun to trade and receive seed packages in the mail. A lot of people will be very generous with newbies. They were wonderful to me when I first started, and I continue to encounter genuinely kind & thoughtful gardeners here.
    Have to say, the Winter-sowing forum is by far the nicest. Folks here are so helpful and fun, too. :)
    Happy Gardening!
    Rosemary

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Let me be another enabler - I mean encourager for you to try the seed exchange. While my trades primarily consist of monthly ones on the round robin exchange forum (ADDICTED!), I have also had a few trades on the seed exchange. Even when I'm not trading, I'm lurking. I love the people on there! They are so helpful and experienced. I even had an excellent trade with Sue! She is great fun to chat with and has great seeds!!! Now, you must lurk for a while on the conversations side. That is where all the behind the scenes action takes place. There's a thread for newbies on that side that answers just about any question you may have. Now quit reading and get over there! Nikki

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

I have a set of experience-based Seed Trading FAQs that I keep at WinterSown.Org...there's also a duplicate set located near the end of this forum's FAQs too.

The biggest mistake I see is when people trade seeds they haven't already packed. If you make your seed into packets before offering them for trade you will know how many that you do have to trade. 'Over-trading' is a huge hassle because you then have to go back and make excuses, offer substitutions or cancel the trade.

A good tip is that if you make up a dozen packs of seeds set aside four of them and only offer eight online. You're going to get trade offers privately through emails as well as on the seed exchange. Having an extra stash squirreled away takes the edge off--you have a comfortable margin to work within.

T

Here is a link that might be useful: WS Seed Trdaing FAQs

• babcia
    15 years ago

I'm kind of new to all this too, but I've now done a few trades and, this year a gardener friend (who uses this forum) encouraged me to sign up for a Round Robin exchange.

You could send up to 100 packs of seeds and then get as many back as you sent. Well, I didn't have 100, but I did have 25, so that's what I sent. I got more back than I sent (thanks to generous people who added bonus packs) and it was so exciting, it felt like Christmas. I got wonderful seeds, some for plants that I've neer heard of before. I can't wait to see my garden results this year.

I think the more you delve into these forums the more you will realize what friendly foks reside here.

Happy Planting!

• token28001
    15 years ago

Nancy, are you telling us you haven't been trading seeds? That's what brought me to GardenWeb in the first place.

In August, I started trading with 5 kinds of seed. I had orange cosmos, sweet shrub, golden raintree, eastern redbud, and coreopsis "early sunrise". When I finally finished counting this January, I had turned those 5 varieties into over 300 types of seed. Then I joined a swap and eventually hosted one as well over at the Round Robin forum.

Overall, I'd have to say I've had great success at trading. Sure, some people don't follow through. And I have been negligent of that myself on two occasions. I lost track because I had so much going on. A gentle reminder email from those users was all it took to get their seeds to them. If you're looking for good first experiences, take a look at the First Enabler thread. Or take up one of the SASBE/BEAP offers for newbies. There are lots and Bakemom is one of the members that hosts several.

So jump in. We love having more seeds to choose from. LOL

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

I was new at this just a few months ago and I have been amazed at how many times, people see your questions or comments about something, and will send a private email and ask if you want some seeds. They probably don't have enough to make an on-line offer, but they can help a few people. I have gotten some wonderful things that way in additional to all of the wonderful generous people who make them available on line. Gives you a great feeling about human nature to meet so many generous people who really would like for you to be a success. Don't see that in the "real" world much.

I have also gotten great information (and seeds) from people in my own state and a neighboring state that recognize that I am near them......no axe murders yet. You will love receiving all those packets of seed. I hope I can collect enough seeds this year from my plants to pass-it-on next year. This year I only had a few commercial seeds to offer.

• token28001
    15 years ago

sooner...I send a few private emails because I don't want to be bombarded with requests. Some things, like a certain rudbeckia, are in high demand. People will email you privately from time to time. It's never been a real nuisance and if you explain that you only had one trade, they usually won't pester you. Usually. LOL

So who wants buddelia seeds? I've got white and purple. They were open pollinated here at the cottage. I've got at least 3 trades of each. Send me an email for a SASBE. Be sure to include your GardenWeb name. They're easy to wintersow.

Here's a bloom on the purple. You might get other colors. One volunteer that came up this summer was a very light, almost blue purple.

{{gwi:361122}}

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

Nope, Token. I have never traded seed, I have sent out some to newbies, but never traded.

God... I don't even want to add up what I've spent this year on seeds... I have sowed over 65 varieties. Oh good grief... don't tell my hubby!

• token28001
    15 years ago

Nancy, you really need to trade. Buy lots of stamps now before the price goes up. Dollar stores have Bubble envelopes cheaper than anywhere else. You can save tons of money this way. Be sure to check out the seed exchange conversation side too. Chemocurl has lots of advice on dealing with ignorant postal workers. I say ignorant because they don't know their own rules.

• seedmama
    15 years ago

I bought bubble envelopes when they were on sale at Walgreens one year. No matter what the size they were the same sale price. I bought the biggest and cut them down into multiple 4x6s. cheap, cheap, cheap.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Oh he double toothpicks. It's easy. Do you want seeds? If you haven't - email me. If you don't have a bubble mailer - that's cool - I have tons. Let's get you SEEDS!

Four stamps for the return. That's it.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Editornj, I arranged a few trades over there this fall, to see how much of my wishlist I could fill before placing any seed orders. Everyone I dealt with followed through, and they often included extras.

Then one day, I decided to lurk over on the Round Robin forum ... and found out that's where the SERIOUS ADDICTS hang out, LOL. Of course, as soon as I signed up for a swap there, I was hooked, so now I'm as bad as the rest of them. I have more seeds than I could use in 10 years, but that doesn't seem to stop me from acquiring more.

To me there's a big difference between those two forums. The Seed Exchange forum is more business like, all about the transaction, and the Round Robin is more like hanging out with friends ... kind of like this forum.

Come on over : )
    Bonnie

• PVick
    15 years ago

First year at GW, I jumped on some SASBE offers; had no seeds to offer in trade, but I'd send homemade seed envelopes, which were appreciated (or so they told me). I'm not too good at seed collecting - unless they're common, easy things like zinnias or morning glories; plus one won't get that many seed from most single plants. So I don't trade much, but have done one-on-one trades with a few people on this forum, or just privately offered seeds I may have if I see someone express a desire for them.

Here on the winter sowing forum, I find that if I say "Wow, that's a pretty plant!", I'll get an email offering me seed for it if I want. Folks here are really generous. Sometimes I feel like a bit of a piker, but I figure the day will come when I can really reciprocate.

Meanwhile, I still lurk and drool over at the Seed exchange ...

PV

• albertar
    15 years ago

This is the first year I have not gotten into any seed trades simply because I have seeds coming out of my ears, LOL. I've been a member of GW for 8 years now and have traded with many, also offered seeds for a sase, and not once did I get stiffed or anything like that. Also note this forum has a seed exchange also. I haven't updated my list in some time now, but if you need seeds, canna's (yellow) or 4 O'clocks send me an email.

Alberta

• helenh
    15 years ago

You are a newbie; watch the seed exchange regularly for newbie offers. Good offers go fast, so check often. Have your bubble envelope, label and stamps ready. You don't have to have a trade list. It is really fun to get the envelopes in the mail. Some people want something for their rare or interesting seeds, but others have columbines or poppies that are producing lots of seeds. They want to share; someday you will have some to share also.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

PV, you are generous with your wisdom. As far as seeds go, I've got your back!

Sponsored