SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Y Stakes: Can't live without them!

arbo_retum
15 years ago

Just in case any of you are not familiar with these stakes, I thought I'd post this. I did an extensive web search today to see if I could find any cheaper source than Walt Nicke's, but I cannot. When I compared an order with Nicke v.s. an order from Gardener's Supply, Nicke had much lower shipping charges for the quantities I wanted.So I ordered ALOT of the 4'and 3', with a lesser number of 2' ones. I am so sick of running out of these invaluable tools( which always happens this time of year [what with the prevalent flopping everywhere.])

While I did not purchase from Gardener's Supply, I DID submit a review of the Y stakes for their Reviews section. This pretty much explains my love of these stakes:

best,

Mindy

Here at The Cotton-Arbo retum in Winchester, Ma., these Y stakes are as important as our shovels and pruners. This is particularly true in the fall,when tall perennials and ornamental grasses(both short and tall) get top heavy, and when sedums splay and so many perennials get 'blousy'(a great British expression.)We also use them for shrubs and small trees, to keep branches from shading out nearby plants, or from fountaining out over a pathway.For our vines, particularly honeysuckle and clematis,we use Y stakes to guide baby vines upward and onto a larger support, be that a fence, tree, arbor or obelisk. With our many ornamental grasses, we begin staking them in late June with the shorter 2 ' or 3' Y stakes, and then we add the tallest Y stakes as the grasses ascend.Because we leave our grasses up for the winter, we leave the Y stakes in place and remove them the following spring when we cut back the grasses to the ground.The stakes weather beautifully, with none of the colored coating chipping off. In fact, except for scratches or dirt, they never look weathered.

We find the opened Y stakes easiest to store, not in a canister/barrel, but in the ground, in an out of the way garden corner or behind a gate.

Our only wish for them to change would be for them to be able to penetrate rock (we are in New England, after all!) but we think that is a bit of an unreasonable wish on our part!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Y stakes through Walter Nicke Co.

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider