SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topie_gw

Newbie newspaper pot questions...

topie
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to winter sow some annual sweet pea seeds in March, and some folks on here helpfully suggested sowing them in newspaper pots since they said the sweet pea seedlings don't like to be disturbed.

I've never made newspaper pots before and this is my first year winter sowing, so just had some questions:

1. Should I put the newspaper pots in a milk jug, and then put the milk jug outside? I've been fiddling around with making the newspaper pots, and discovered if I use one half sheet of a small size newspaper, it makes a pot that is small enough to fit two newspaper pots to a milk jug.

2. If I put my experimental newspaper pots in a milk jug, the jug seems kind of tippy without a full load of soil in it. Should I weigh the jug down with some small stones or gravel inside or something? There is room around the newspaper pots to add some small stones or gravel since the two newspaper pots don't quite fill up the whole milk jug.

3. Also, I only used one half of a sheet of a newspaper to make my newspaper pots, so the walls of the newspaper pots are only one sheet in thickness on two sides of the pot. Should I use a whole sheet of newspaper and fold the newspaper over to double the thickness of the walls of the newspaper pot? I'm concerned the single-sheet thickness pots may just totally disintegrate before they are ready to be planted out...

I used the "origami" newspaper pot method posted by sewobsessed to make my pots. Thank you!!!

Comments (12)

Sponsored