SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Forcing tulips in 75 days for my wedding? Help!

beesneeds
11 years ago

Help... I have several bags of tulip bulbs I picked up last fall so I can pot them up and hopefully get them to bloom for my wedding, which is the first weekend in May, about 75 days from now. I probably should have planned this wintersow much better, but honestly, I picked up the bulbs with a lot of other wedding prep sale stuff when things were on clearance last season, and lost track of them. I went through recently and resorted everything, and rediscovered the tulips.
I have several different bags, a couple of 20 countish of mixed kinds, some 5-10 countish of particular kinds, ranging from early bloom to late bloom. I also rediscovered two 40 count bags of grape hyacinths, but I don't know if those can be forced or not.

I have been keeping them stored in an insulated attached garage that sees low level light, and we have had a rather mild winter till the last month or so.

Now I need to start potting them up for forcing. My optimal of course would be for everything to be blooming, but I'm also happy with just foliage that is nice and lush and nothing is starting to fade off yet.
But I know nothing about tulips. How to force them, what does early, mid, and late season mean in relation to my timing... ugh.

To complicate all this. I would like to do this in a way that I can then use the potted tulips after the wedding as plant in plugs in different parts of the yard.

I do already have a lot of 8 and 10 inch pots, and some 12 inch pots and a lot of dirt to set things up. I also have a small stockpile of mesh onion and orange bags built up to make nets to line the pots with to help keep out the bulb eating critters for when I transplant. I have a three seasons porch with fine southeastern exposure. It's a high humidity porch, we have a small koi pond running year round in there.

Any suggestions or advice? Anything would be much appreciated!!

Comments (11)

Sponsored