SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marisha_1973

I Found Guppies At The Lake

Marisha_1973
19 years ago

Hum a few bars if you know it ... :)

My mother and I fish some man-made lakes on the Southern Oregon Coast and there they were...about 5 schools of baby fish. Each school was comprised of a different basic size of occupants. The smallest, made up of about 15 fish, were 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch and tended to hang out near the edge of the water at our feet, while the largest grouping, about 20-30 fish, ranged from about 2 to 4 inches and were only visible on really sunny days last fall.

This particular lake is stocked with farmed trout by the Department of Fish & Wildlife, but it also contains Perch, Bass, Catfish, and Blue Gill. I was so excited to see groups of babies and decided one day to go back and net them and take them home...how exciting to raise baby trout or something, even if I was technically poaching. Didn't realize that until my mom's friend, the commercial fisherman, advised me of my lawbreaking a week later.

Much to my chagrin, about a month or so later, I realized that these little fish were not going to grow into the big monsters that I had hoped for. They are common grey guppies. I realized it when I thought one of them had a deformed fin...it looked like the fin on the underside of its belly was ripped and detatched most of the way from its body. After looking at hundreds and hundreds of pictures of fish native to the Pacific Northwest with no success in finding a match, I started looking to aquarium sites, and lo and behold, I found an anatomical diagram of a male guppy...complete with a name for the "deformed" fin ... the gonopodium.

I started the tank with the water, rocks and plants from the lake where I netted the fish and have since slowly acclimated them to regular aquarium water. I had an infestation of Hydra for the first month or so and have since rid the tank of that. I put some anacharis in the tank from the lake, thinking the fish were natives and needed familiar foliage. The plant contained a hitchhiker...a pond snail that, thankfully, hasn't reproduced like I thought it would but has grown in size and keeps the tank front nice and clean.

When I was still under the impression that these were baby sport fish I purchased some freeze-dried baby shrimp and blood worms for them to eat...after finding out their species I did more research and was surprised to find out I had been feeding them the right foods, the temp in the tank was ok at 68 to 72ºF even though I don't have a heater, it's not necessarily ideal for breeding, but they are surviving, and I think the population is even ok, with 12 smalls in a dome-front

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH