SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19811246

Tetras dying ...

User
17 years ago

I'm a new fish owner, not very knowledgeable. I have four tetras, one catfish and one large plec. I'd like to get more when I know the tank is healthy, but ...

I recently brought home four tetras from the nearest pet store to keep the old surviving one company. It's a longish drive and I got caught in Christmas rush hour; they were in plastic bags for about 45 minutes. I expected deaths but the new guys did fine at first. Then one black-skirted tetra died a few weeks later and now one of the white ones looks ready to go. It's in the corner of the tank on the bottom breathing hard.

Like I said, I'm new, but have been doing religious water changes and gravel vacuuming. I dechlorinate the tap water using additives. My attempts at testing show relatively low nitrates (.5ppm no2, 20ppm no3) and almost no ammonia. The rest of the fish seem very active and happy. Even the catfish seems remarkably active since I started testing and cleaning more assertively. Appreciate ideas on what might be stressing -- well, killing -- my poor tetras.

Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor