SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmom_gw

My fish are not very active, are they okay?

midwestmom
16 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the aquarium forum but I've been on the decorating and building a home forum for a few years.

I have a week old tank. Right now we have a rainbow shark and five tiger barbs (2 stripe, 2 green, 1 albino). The two striped tiger barbs were very active the first few days. The first rainbow shark jumped out the first day, we threw him back in and a few hours later he jumped into the tank light and got stuck and died. (we bought a new cover so that won't happen again.) We got a new rainbow shark yesterday and the green and albino barbs yesterday. I read they like to school together, that was why I got a few more of them. I had my water checked and they said it was okay, although just a tad high on something. (it's hectic at store with two excited kids so i forgot exactly)

Last night and today I notice that the fish aren't really swimming around much. They are staying near the bottom and just floating. They are occassionally swimming around, but not at all like they used to. How do I know if they are okay? I did a very small water change yesterday. I read that I'm supposed to do that with a new tank. I really don't know what I'm doing here. I'm still learning. Then tank was a Christmas gift for my 9 y/o son.

If anything I've done so far was horribly wrong, please go easy on me. I've been researching for days, and like I said, I'm new to this and trying to learn. My kids are loving the fish. tia for any help!

Comments (10)

Sponsored