SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cassieinla

Help!!! friend's gift =10 gal disaster

cassieinla
17 years ago

Thanks to those who helped with my ignorant questions on cycling a small tank in an earlier post. I opted for a fishless cycle for my 10 gal. The ammonium was still pretty high (about .6 or .7 ppm, put too much ammonia in by accident the last addition I made) nitrites negligible, and a friend of my bf brought me 10 cichlids as a "gift" after seeing my empty fish tank sitting there for like almost a month. I had expressly told him previously that I was cyling it and would get fish later. Now I have 10 cichlids crammed in a 10 gal tank. I had to do FOUR major water changes to get my ammonia levels down. I stopped when it got to .25ppm, although I was worried. That was a few days ago. Now ammonia is down to 0ppm, but nitrites are at .25ppm or so. Even if these poor things survive the coming nitrite spike, what am I going to do with TEN cichlids?????????

The friend told me they were african cichlids, and as far as I can tell from online research, they are maybe malawian cichlids. These get to be 5" big?!?!?!? And are aggressive?!?!? Already one orangey one is chasing everyone around, and a little yellow fellow is missing a fin!!! :( I don't know if he was missing it when he came, but I'm worried the bully got him. It makes me sick to think of them suffering and dying from bad water or from each other. :( I have been depressed over a terminally ill aunt, and the prosepect of having tortured, dying fish in my home is not helping at all.

I looked online for a fish rescue in Los Angeles. I found one, but no one emailed back. Does anyone know of something like that, or have any other ideas? I am so at a loss for what to do with these poor creatures. I cannot get a bigger tank or multiple tanks. I had to "fight" for this little one as it is.... I couldn't reject the fish, as culturally, that would have been very insulting. This guy invests heavily w/my bf. Apparently, the friend does not value fishy life as much as I do... I told him it wasn't ready adn they would die. He shrugged! I asked him if he would read them their last rites and bury them... and he laughed and said to bury them in the toilet!!!! :( I am so frustrated and worried about them. Anyone have some ideas? Any advice appreciated! Thanks in advance! I have learned so much here...

Cassie (at wits end!)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath