SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lunrtwilight

Update

LunRTwilight
10 years ago

I've been busy this last week. Apparantly, I had lots of work to do. I bought some perlite to add to my potting mix, which was too heavy. It does look muh better now. It's amazing to me that I recognize that, because I've never heard the term "too heavy" before, but somehow I can see the difference now. (It's not like they teach you this kind of thing when you buy your plants.)

I also re-potted a bunch of them. My boss gave me several AV self-watering pots when I started my collection as did my mother. So, naturally, these are the ones I used to give my babies homes, whether I bought them or had them given to me. I thought they were doing fine, but, I had no idea that they liked to be pot-bound. I'm a stubborn type, so now I'm just waiting to see the results with my own eyes.

In the process of moving everyone around, I found one of my leaves has sprouted roots. I believe it was one that fell off and I just stuck it down into some soil, uncovered, and kept it moist. Another plant was given to me in a dreadful state. My boss adopted a new kitten who attacked and halfway ate one of her trailers. She brought me a small crown that had been chewed off and asked me to save it. Same thing, I put it in soil and it has exploded a ton of roots in the same amount of time. I wonder if perhaps she used a root hormone to wrap it when she brought it to me? Or maybe that's the difference between a leaf and a crown.

I have several leaves started, some in different set-ups, but using tips learned here, so hopefully successful in the long run. I bought some condiment cups, which are a nice size for leaves and young plants. I've also found that Starbucks has a sample cup that works nicely (being a coffee brat, I have lots of these). As a next size up, my daughter's applesauce containers and fruit cups are just a teeny bit bigger, easy to add drainage holes, too. I'm thinking about using old coffee mugs, but I'd have to top water and be careful not to over-water. In the end, this may not work well, but the idea is cute.

I have two of my babies coming into bloom soon for the first time! I'm doing something right, though I may have been stumbling along. I need to find a good fertilizer. Miracle-Gro's AV fertilizer uses urea derived nitrogen, though it is balanced 7-7-7. I haven't seen any damage, but I'm hesitant to continue using it because I'm worried it will burn the roots, especially on my new named varieties.

Yes, I'm long-winded, and I apologize. I also never got any feedback on my last question about plant lights? I know flourescent lights work well, but I don't have any yet, just a "blue-tinted" Gro light, I think and some natural light, but limited as it's filtered through trees, blinds, and (sheer) curtains. It's not as ideal as the light I get at work, but they seem to be fine. I'll likely be taking them back to my office soon because space is so limited at home.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my progress with everyone here. I hope the convention in OH went well, wish I could have gone, but I ended up working, and it really is quite the drive from Atlanta. Hope everyone who did go had fun!

Here's the trailer that my boss gave me. I removed most of the chewed leaves off, but there's still a couple that look bad, so I tried to get its good side.

Comments (17)