SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wesley_butterflies

Newbiee here!!!!!!!

wesley_butterflies
14 years ago

I was picking out some fall pansies at a garden / ice cream stand and saw this little tiny thing in a pot with a neat purple flower and yellow eye in the center for 3.98 I figured what the heck its worth a shot It's tag says Saint paulia ( African violet ) I go to the google site and look up how to grow African Violet and say OMG here we go again so much info to follow and as I do dabble with rose growing I figure it is pretty much the same only different

Soil PH fertilizing/feeding watering sun light inside lighting ect... all play a factor in any plant and I do understand that an African Violet is kind of different in it's needs of each of the items mentioned but I am asking for some advice

so far this is what I have done

the online info I got states to put it in a bigger pot one thats both wide and somewhat shallow the site suggested to buy an african violet bag of soil and some odd type of feeding stick also for violets of this type

Well the pot I have on hand and the compost pile out side seemed like the better dirt to me so yeah why not free is better then a trip to a store to get a bag. I read some of the postings to ensure myself that the steps I took thus far are kind of reassuring ( basicly if I fail at growing this Violet I am only out 3.98 )

The pot sits in a two sized round shape glass bowl the bottom is less round then the top so far I let water stand in there ( this I think is wrong ) and 2 inches abouve the standing water is the base of the pot where the glass bowl holds the pot base and incircles it by an inch or so ( Humidity maybe ??)

I placed a hand full of rounded glass craft thinggies to cover the holes at the base of the bigger pot ( about an inch deep )added a very well composted nitro rich ( love them worms ) soil into pot and set the violet on top and into potted soil and then added more to fill pot to top with same composted soil I then gave it a nice little drink of compost tea and let it drain into the bottom of the glass bowl.

I also read that it grows best with window lighting from the east ( I have no such a window anywhere )and half day sun ( seems like it needs to be in a cooler sun too )

but thus far my odds dont look to good the best sun I can offer is North ( but would rather it be in late afternoonish sun) and I can't help but assume if I place it south there too would be cooler sun my south provides late day sun ( evening sun here )

Even though I am willing to spend a bit of effort on this new found beauty I think it best it not become a nice big hobbie for myslef ( like them roses ) but do look for a bit of direction for best growth if it dies or gets sick I am not in concern to much Ill just chalk it up as an experimint and move on to something else that can bring flowering color inside the house with out the touch of rocket science.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES