SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
occidental_tourist

B&S carb headaches

occidental_tourist
14 years ago

Have a 21 horse V-Twin I/C B&S Engine Model 4045A7 on a Murray 465306x8 garden tractor.

If it matters: type is 0211 E1 and Code is 031103YG

I'm having constant starvation problems when the tractor has not been run in a while and occasionally during start and stop engine operations.

Always starts with starting fluid and when it does run off the gas tank it runs smooth and never quits. When it is not starting I often seem to able to solve the problem by tapping the carb with a hammer that makes me think the pin is hanging up in the seat.

I've seen some carbs do this, but obviously it doesn't happen every time.

Don't know if this just says replace the needle and seat anyway. Or if there is any additive I could put in the gas to minimize sticking of the needle on the rubber seat or?

Would also be interested to find out if anyone makes a permanent or test bowel for these carbs that is clear. Then I could actually observe what the hell is going on. (Kind of like a temp plexiglas door for a dishwasher which is how we figure out performance problems with dishwashers).

Also, I can't help but be interested in the theory of ops for these carbs with some kind of magnetic solenoid where the jet adjustment screw used to be. I have several of these in service and don't think that carb adjustment or the functioning of this solenoid has ever been a problem but the whole thing is kind of black box to me at the moment compared to the accessibility of the old adjustment screws. So some kind of primer on what this is actually doing. Is it some kind of fuel shutoff or a governor . . . ?

Thanks,

Brian

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions