SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sem67

mtd snow thrower (190-624) installation/pto question

sem67
15 years ago

I just installed a MTD 45 inch two-stage snow thrower (part 190-624)on my MTD 800 series garden Tractor (141-848-H). The installation was straightforward, with good instructions.

After installation, the motor was extremely difficult to start. I noticed that the cause was that the PTO was not fully disengaging... the starter motor was also trying to turn over that large snow thrower. I had never experienced this problem before with the mowing deck.

I did deviate from the instruction manual as follows: The instructions said to lower the front adjustable links (for deck/thrower attachment)to the bottom line on the link and attach them with the lever in the lowest position. I tried this, but it appeared to me that it would be lower than necessary at this height, and perhaps not even raise the thrower skid plate above the ground at all. So I adjusted the links up.

I do not see how the above could have led to my problem, but is it a possibility? Or do you have any advice for looking elsewhere for an answer to my PTO problem?

Thanks!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions