SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pwberndt

Thanks, Intek 18 HP Together

pwberndt
17 years ago

Just want to thank everyone, especially Walt, for help with salvaging this engine. If I had not found this forum and been advised that these engines blow headgaskets, I would have been well on my way to a new lawn tractor. The head & valve cover gaskets cost ~$12, much cheaper & I enjoy engine work.

This was a pretty straight forward job and the engine runs like new. Power is back and no oil puffs. I will re-torque the head & adjust valves at 10 hours.

A couple of comments for those anticipating this job.

1. Do not scrape the head or deck with a putty knife, use a scotch pad to clean off old head gasket.

2. The valves may have a small cap on them that can fall off. The overhaul manual isn't really clear on this. I didn't know this and one came off as I was putting the head back on. Fortunately I saw it and didn't lose the cap.

3. Spend some extra time on adjusting the valves. My engine starts easier and runs smoother than ever before. I think the valves may have been out of adjustment.

4. The engine manual is ~$16 + shipping. It was helpful & I'm glad I got it. But if you have mechanical experience, it wasn't needed. I got all of the info needed from this forum.

5. Add a fuel shutoff valve to your system if it doesn't have one. It will prevent raw gas from running through the carb into the oil. I think this is more common on newer engines, it is a good idea for all. I got one for $5, cheap insurance.

6. I couldn't see into the pushrod galley to see if it was blowing by, the guide plate was in the way. Yet when you get to this point, removing the head is only a few minutes away. As soon as I pulled the head, it was obvious that oil was being sucked in and compression was blowing into the galley.

Again, thanks & have great Holidays,

Paul

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions