SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alley_gw

Does it make a difference?

alley
15 years ago

I started my winter sowing much earlier this year than last, and now I have some sprouts and some are getting tall with a couple sets of leaves. I never really thought about it and just figured they would be bigger when I eventually planted out. But, after reading some posts (including my own), I can see that planting some out even before my last frost date is probably ok to do and that they'll more than likely make it. But, does it make a difference in when they bloom? Last year, I did some larkspurs and they bloomed quite nicely. I was told that if I sowed them in the fall, I'd get blooms earlier. I fall direct sowed some larkspurs and they have some quite nice seedlings going. I also have some winter sown this year larkspurs that are also looking nice. If I plant them out, will they bloom as early as the fall sowns?

What about money plant (don't remember the latin name, but they came from MIL in Indy--have paper looking seed pods). I have some seedlings in ground and some just popping up in jugs. I also have some snapdragons that look pretty healthy.

What about biennials? Do they still need the second year before they bloom (I'm thinking of hollyhocks, but I think there are others too).

I guess my basic question is: Will I get blooms if I plant them sooner, or does it not really make a difference for biennials and perennials? They'll mostly wait until next year anyway. I may plant some out anyway, just to get it done and to satisfy my need to plant, but I'm curious.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions