SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Hobby or Obssession?

nwgatreasures
15 years ago

I'm serious....

How does one go about limiting the number of violets they have?

What guidelines do you have in place to help you decide which to say yes to and which to graciously decline?

In the past 6 weeks, my collection has gone from about 30 to over 90. I am purchasing my first plant stand with lighting and I'm ok with that choice. I know I have the bug and I am thoroughly enjoying this hobby. I am also enjoying the interest that my 4 year old daughter takes in the plants. It's a wonderful time for us to spend together and she is an amazing sponge for the information that I've shared so far with her.

So far, all of my plants have been in a western window with light coming through a big tree (diffused) and the plants have loved it. Now, with the # growing so rapidly, I don't have the room and many are not receiving the light that they desire and deserve. This has facilitated the plant stand.

I went to someone's house today who has over 300 violets on 6 different shelving units with 3 shelves each. To me, that is an obssession (no judgement here, just observed that they have taken over her house and her husband is horribly angry and resentful about it and she is so overwhelmed that not only can she not care for all of them but she isn't enjoying any part of it because she feels so overwhelmed).

My visit was to help her "downsize" and make a donation of over 100 of her plants (mostly duplicates and non-show plants) to our annual plant sale in 2 weeks. She downsized, and I came home with another 11 plants that I fell in love with and didn't want to pass up adding to my family.

It was a reminder that if I keep collecting and adopting every single plant that I meet, this could be me before Christmas.

How does one go about limiting and choosing which they will add to their collection and which to pass?

Is it a matter of "Just Say NO" or is there some criteria that you go by.....what do you do?

Dora

Comments (57)