SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

I want your secret tools

token28001
15 years ago

I've been planting out a few things today. Don't get all bitter just yet, I've only done the really hardy stuff and only 12 containers out of 170+. But I have a couple of questions.

Usually when I sow seeds in a flat, I pick them out individually and pot them up one by one. These are indoor seeds so they're protected. But I'm doing the HOS method outside. What I'm finding is that a 2-liter really only nets me about 10-12 hunks. I sowed lightly and did multiple containers of some things.

I use a spoon to scoop out a hunk and the same spoon to dig a hole in the dirt. But it doesn't always work. Sometimes the soil just breaks apart and I have all these little seedlings scattered throughout the dirt. Can I do it one by one? I'm not crazy, I won't do it for every container, and most are holding together, but some things just don't seem to work out that way. It's the soil I used that's the problem with those.

What's your method? Any special "tools" you use? And do you fertilize or use another method to make sure the seedlings grow on to a mature plant?

Thanks.

Comments (35)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus