SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjjb0204

Should I buy this used Simplicity?

kjjb0204
16 years ago

Hoping to get some advice on a used Simplicity Regent tractor. It's two years old, sounds and runs smooth, starts easy and comes with a snowthrower attachment, rear bagger and 40" mowing deck. I ran it for about 15 minutes, didn't smell anything funny, nothing leaking. It's got a 16hp Kohler Command engine, wheel weights, chains and rear attachment weights also. I've talked to a few people and it seems not that many people have heard of this brand. The owner is asking $1500 for everything.

Does that seem like a good deal? Can anyone tell me anything about Simplicity brand tractors?

Thanks!

Comments (41)

• ridonkulus
    16 years ago

everyone's going to ask you how many hours are on it.

i hear the kohler command is a good engine. this year's regent is b&s.

with all the equipment, sounds enticing.

• tmajor
    16 years ago

How many $$ can you possibly lose?

• Related Discussions

Should I buy this used Simplicity?

Q

Comments (1)
    Post this in the tractor forum and you will get answers. By the way it don't sound like a bad deal at all.
    ...See More

What should I expect to pay for a Simplicity Legacy or comp?

Q

Comments (4)
    A 2wd model will do a good job with a smaller loader which your are looking at for the Leagacy I have been using a loader on a 2wd garden tractor for over 10 plus years on two diffrent tractors. and I get full use of the loader capacity with 2wd and I have only had to use my diff/lock once in all those years and it wasn't with the loader it was with the front blade. I thought about the 4wd drive units but I never had any problems with the 2wd units so when I bought new in 2003 I bought a 2wd unit. Just some other garden tractors that take loader's Cub Cadet 3000 series. (kwik-way) John Deere X700 series Toro5Xi/New Holland GT series (kwik-way) The oem for the Simplcity loader is Kwik-way loader of South Dakota.
    ...See More

Which appliances should I NOT buy used?

Q

Comments (8)
    It would all be in consideration of a cost vs value or benefit vs risk. I would not buy any appliance with a computer board without a longterm warranty. From there it would depend on your ability to look at the mechanics and see if anything is wrong. Don't buy anything on the secondary market you don't know anything about. Our kids have bought appliances at auctions for $10-$30 just to have a second frig or a freezer. They were in workng condition at the auction house and they had good luck. We have seen many brand new washing machines recently that were selling for $5-$10 just because they don't wash well. I would sooner take a chance on an older Maytag or something like that, that can be fixed. You would have to know about it though.
    ...See More

Should I buy a used DCS 48 inch gas range?

Q

Comments (20)
    Hmmm, I heard they went to crap after they got bought out but that prior to that many people liked them. Not sure what year that was though but something to look into. I know you're excited but I'd make 100% sure that you will be able to convert it to LP and that every single part you need is readily available. I would find a local installer who has been doing this for many years and sit down with him to discuss before buying, it's not the kind of thing you want to take chances with...if anything goes wrong the best case scenario is it just doesn't work, the other possibilities are much more serious.
    ...See More
  • eal51
    16 years ago

The Simplicity line from the Regent to the Legacy line has a long and reliable history - just not the public knowledge or exposure of JD or CC or Craftsman.

Simplicity is owned by Briggs & Stratton.

The Regent is classified as a lawn tractor. The Simplicity site will tell you about the tranny. Most Simplicity's use Tuff Torque trannies.

I would definitely try to determine the hours on the engine. I would also look for a local Simplicity dealer to assist you if you need it. I would also find out what tranny is in the unit. Snowblowing can take its toll on a tranny.

If the tractor has 100 hours or less and its a K46 tranny, I would go for it. The snowblower alone could have cost close to $1,500.00 new!!

I have an 06 Simplicity Conquest, 44" deck, 21 hp B & S Vanguard engine. I also have a 42" snow blower for the winters. It is a beast and exceptionally well built!

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

• kjjb0204
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This model doesn't seem to have an hour meter on it. I looked all over the engine and anywhere else I could think of, and I didn't find any meter. I don't think it could have that many hours on it - the tires still have the little rubber threads that hang off of a new tire. The attachments all look very lightly used as well.

• ridonkulus
    16 years ago

if it's from a homeowner, take a look at the yard and what he/she potentially put it through. although they could lie about it, find out why they are selling it.

i have heard of simplicity and their regent brand. simplicity is popular in my area. my neighbor has a 2006 or 07 model and he's happy with it. it is simplicity's entry level line. i know they used to put a vanguard in them, but not currently.

that price sounds like a great deal to me.

• windcatcher
    16 years ago

Good advice from these guys. I bought a used 2000 Simplicity in 2005. It was a Landlord DLX with a 18 hp B&S Vangard engine. It has the TuffTorq 70G (I think) tranny. It has been nothing but a pleasure to own, though I did have to get some maintenance done. Maintenance was drive belt replacement, idler spring replacement, tranny filters and fluid replacement. The maintenance cost me maybe $200.00, with the purchase original price of $1850.00. Mine is now in line with a newer model of about $5000.00 tractor from what my Simplicity dealer told me. I really do like mine a whole lot. Good luck with your quest.

• kjjb0204
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So, I didn't buy the Simplicity. I have talked to many people with simplicity history and it doesn't seem any one really likes the free floating deck with the full width rollers. I'm also not keen on a used mower now, as there seem to be some decent options in the sub-$1800 new market. Maybe a JD LA110 or a Craftsman or Husky model. Also, a Simplicity dealer told me the snow thrower is a real pain in the a$$ to remove and install and if I don't have a free 4 hours, to hire someone to do it. Not to mention the 16hp on the Simplicity Regent just isn't enough to push around a snow thrower effectively.

• User
    16 years ago

kjjb0204,

A few things to keep in mind...

"it doesn't seem any one really likes the free floating deck with the full width rollers".

That design has it's pluses and minuses and it's competency is dependent on what terrain it's mowing.

"I'm also not keen on a used mower now, as there seem to be some decent options in the sub-$1800 new market. Maybe a JD LA110 or a Craftsman or Husky model".

There is a lot to be said for a shiny new tractor, but sorry, IMO there's nothing in the sub $1800 market that is built, assembled, or equipped as well as a Simplicity Regent including the box store JDs. If you think a Craftsman or Husky is in the same league as a Simplicity Regent you need to get down on your knees and look real closely.

"Also, a Simplicity dealer told me the snow thrower is a real pain in the a$$ to remove and install and if I don't have a free 4 hours, to hire someone to do it".

Yup, everyone told me the same thing and after the first winter I could remove my mowing deck and install the snowthrower in about 45 minutes taking my time.

"Not to mention the 16hp on the Simplicity Regent just isn't enough to push around a snow thrower effectively".

That statement couldn't be more inaccurate. I'd love to have a dollar for every Wheelhorse, Bolens, Simplicity, Case, Ingersoll, Cub, Ariens, and other "old" tractors that blow snow AND plow snow nicely with 8, 10, and 12 hp engines. It takes much less power to drive a tractor and run a snowblower than you'd think. The Kohler COMMAND 16hp engine has a lot more power than you'd believe.

At $1500 with a snowthrower attachment, rear bagger, wheel weights, chains and rear attachment weights you passed up a very good deal. That package was close to getting the tractor for free based on the cost of the included attachments.

• eal51
    16 years ago

kjjb2004,

Boy did someone feed you a bunch of b#$$ s#*%% on Simplicity's.

The free floating deck with rollers is the Simplicity signature for getting your lawn striping. People buy Simplicity's just for that reason. There is nothing wrong with the deck set up. Remember, I'm a Simplicity owner.

The entry level JD's and Craftsman's or Husky's don't begin to compare to a Regent. Did you ever see a Regent in Sears or a big box store? No way. Go searching the web and you will find out the Regent is better built than those you mentioned.

It doesn't take 4 hours to remove the mower deck and put on the blower. Just by myself, no help, I can drop the mower deck, install the blower hitch and attach the blower in under 45 minutes.And I'm taking my time too!

16 hp engine isn't enough to move the blower and get rid of the snow!!!!!! NO WAY!!!!!! A 16 hp engine has plenty of power to do the job.

Somebody is going to get a great deal on the Regent but it won't be you.

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

• oldtiredbob
    16 years ago

Amazing statements. I have a conquest with a 16 horse vanguard. I pull a 300 pound aerator around likes it's nothing. It blows snow great. The mow quality is great. Sounds like some people don't know what the hell they are talking about. But then, I don't trash other people's equipment. Years ago I had a 10 horse Case and you couldn't stop it. I think the transmission probably is more important than horse power.

• User
    16 years ago

"a Simplicity dealer told me the snow thrower is a real pain in the a$$ to remove and install and if I don't have a free 4 hours, to hire someone to do it".

I wonder if that Simplicity dealer has a friend who JUMPED on that used Regent?

• kjjb0204
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All I have to say is f me. I just bought a new JD 110. The used Simplicity is still for sale. If he can't sell it by the end of the week, he's going to offer it to me for $1250, but I just got mine delivered. Wonder if I can return the JD...??

• monstergumbo
    16 years ago

Darn dude, you missed a great opportunity. The Simplicity cuts like no other and leaves the nicest looking lawn in the neighborhood. It doesn't scalp, it follows all the contours. Like others that have posted I have a Simp. and speak from experience. It would have no problem with the blower and you'd have a machine that would last.

• User
    16 years ago

kjjb0204,

A John Deere 110 isn't in the same league as the Simplicity and a snowthrower for that Deere will cost you $1299 plus weights and chains. By the time you equip the JD the same as the Regent you'll have $3k invested, without the bagger, and not as good a tractor.

The Kohler Command in the Regent is a commercial duty engine and the B&S in the JD 110 is an entry level engine.

If you're worried about power then hear this... today a buddy brought over his new Craftsman DGS6500 with a 26hp Kohler Pro (consumer grade engine) and Tuff Torq hydro. We hooked his rear hitch up the the rear hitch of my Toro Wheelhorse 518xi (18hp Kohler Command) and we both hit it. I drug him and his tractor mercilessly backwards until until I was bored. Granted my Toro weighs 1000 lbs and has an Eaton hi-lo hydro but gee whiz, he has 8 more horsepower! Get my point?

Go buy the Simplicity and buddy up to the Simplicity dealer.

If I were in your shoes I'd call the JD dealer up and cancel the sale under the 30 day JD rule. Then run to the dealer selling that used Regent and pay the $1500.

Again, there's a lot to be said for a shiny new tractor but in this case you're comparing apples and grapefruit.

• marineguy
    16 years ago

I'm a little confused as to how you could pass up $3500-4000 worth of high-end consumer use equipment in nearly new condition for $1500 in favor of a box store Deere. I've never heard anything bad about a Simplicity. Conversely, I've never heard anything good about an LA series other than "I didn't need a garden tractor," (I'm still not sure that's actually a pro-LA statement).

Take it back; get the Simplicity.
    For $1,250 I'd almost be concerned it's stolen merchandise.

As for the blower being a pain to remove/install. Ease of labor is in the arms of the beholder. With my 5-ton floor jack, two sturdy jack stands and a star wrench, I can rotate the LT265/70R17 tires on my Yukon in 20 minutes. My brother-in-law would probably take a week (longer if the scissors jack fell over and trapped him under the axle). He recently had a breakdown because he was told by his mechanic he should clean the corroded battery terminals on his wife's car. When he went to re-attach the cables, the ground had magically shortened, and no longer reached the terminal. An hour later, after shouting a tirade of four-letter words, he shot-putted a pumpkin into the street.

He would probably tell you that changing the snowblower on any tractor is difficult, to say the least. Would you believe him?

• jimgtx20
    16 years ago

Does this post remind anybody of lb59?

• doopstr
    16 years ago

I hope the OP is just pulling everyone's chain on this one.

• kjjb0204
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marineguy - I passed on the Simplicity because I'm an idiot. My homeowner assoc. was all over me to get the leaves up, so I panicked and bought the JD this morning, delivered this afternoon. If that guy still has the Simplicity this weekend, I'll offer him $1400 and return the JD. I hope it snows like a mutha this winter!

• kjjb0204
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Doopstr - not pulling anyone's chain on this - I have never owned a rider before and succumbed to the fabulous green and yellow aura of a new JD. You have to admit that it's very tempting - JD does have a great reputation, great service and plenty of dealers around for service and support. Of course, that's all information that I've gathered from research. I guess I was having trouble getting lots of info on Simplicity and like I just said in another post, I panicked. If I end up getting it, I'll post pics same day.

• docholiday
    16 years ago

I mowed thousands of hours on a Simplicity as a kid and it out mowed anything else I ever saw. I don't know about the new decks, but the old one I used was much deeper than a JD or Cub Cadet and it seemed to mow through thick grass easier while maintaining a clean and even cut. Now I mow with Deeres and while they are good tractors, I still miss the Simplicity deck.

• User
    16 years ago

kjjb0204,

There's no reason to jerk around the JD dealer.

Keep what you bought. There's a reason you picked the JD and time will tell you if it was or was not the best choice you had.

• machiem
    16 years ago

I agree. You've made your bed, now lie in it.

Don't feel alone. Many of us start out with lawn tractors, move up to a GT and in the end wind up with a sub-compact or compact tractor. Those decisions cost lots of money...

• kjjb0204
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, you guys are right. My loss on the simplicity I guess. If anyone in NH area wants to take that simplicity, the ad is on craigslist.org. It's from Nov 8 and listing says Simplicity Tractor with Attachments, $1500.00. If I can't buy it, I'll sure help that guy sell it.

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Who knows, the Regent may have been a lemon anyway (I own a simplicity broadmoor, so no bashing please).

• duke88
    16 years ago

Marineguy.... Why did you buy a used GT225 instead of a new JD4720 ? probably because the used GT225 fit your needs best. Well the L100 & LA series fit a lot of peoples needs also , some just mow and not move dirt etc. I have a new LA120 and it does just fine for me , sure I could have bought a BIG whatever brand of tractor I wanted.... but why if I don't need it ?. Just seems kind of out of line for you to be knocking & putting down L-LA series all the time. How do you think people (many) that own these tractors feel when they read your negative posts ?. I'm sure by now everyone knows how much you hate the L100 series but why don't you give it a rest ?.

• marineguy
    16 years ago

machiem and justalurker,
    I disagree. John Deere is the one who made the bed. They made the choice to take a run-of-the mill line of mowers, paint them green and yellow, and lure in buyers on false pretenses with the "fabulous green and yellow aura of a new JD." Twenty years ago if you wanted a good-enough mower, you bought a Craftsman. If you wanted a premium mower, you bought a John Deere, a Cub Cadet, a Gravely, a Simplicity... Some buyers don't feel like screwing around--they just want the best. They shouldn't have to question if it's actually the model that represents the legacy of the green paint, or merely the model that will sell solely because of the green paint. Kjjb, if you're not satisfied with the quality of your LA series, take it back. It's not your problem that you were duped into buying a John Deere you thought was on par with a Simplicity. If it's good enough for you, keep it.
    I'm not concerned about making people feel bad about their purchases. That can only happen if they actually bought a product which did not live up to their expectations, in which case they shouldn't try to convince the rest of the buying world into making the same mistakes as they try to justify their own. I'm concerned about stopping people from making purchases they might regret, and I don't think the LA series reflects the vision of the men who built that company into what it is. If someone started bashing the GT series John Deeres, Snap-On tools, Brietling watches, Micheln tires or Danner boots, it wouldn't bother me at all, because I know those are quality products- and I really don't care what impressions others hold of me or my possessions (unless they're in a position to influence a promotion). If that were true I would have bought a Land Rover over the more expensive GMC, or maybe I'd buy a new pair of pants more than once a year. I have nothing against MTDs, Allied tools, Timex watches, General tires or Texas Steer boots. They make "good-enough" merchandise and that's fine for most people. But you don't see Brietling making a Timex-level watch (priced just a little higher) so the puddle-jumper pilots can dress like F-15 drivers. You see the Brietling name and you know it's an heirloom quality product; Danners will keep your feet dry; Michelins will ride smooth. You can trust the brand. That's no longer so with John Deere and I think that's a shame.

Duke, that's why. It's got nothing to do with size. I just don't agree with corporations misleading the consumers. You shouldn't have to spend six hours researching a product online to find out where it stacks up. Name brands used to mean something.

• machiem
    16 years ago

Easy there big fella. I was commenting on his panicked decision to buy something and then having buyer's remorse and wanting to return it. It has nothing to do with WHAT he bought or from WHOM he bought it.

He panicked, he bought it, now he should be a responsible person and live with his decision. His latest comments say that's what he's going to do.

As for the entry level John Deere's, if they fit the needs of other's, who are you to judge? Don't forget, John Deere has been making "entry level" mowers for quite awhile. Some were good, some were bad.

For the record, I'm a Kubota guy.

• kjjb0204
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marineguy - I'm glad JD has stepped "down" into the small lawn tractor market. I could not afford anything above the LA series, so to have a JD that I could afford means I have a two year warranty, service dealers all over the place and peace of mind that I'm not starting out with someone else's headache for my first riding mower.

"some buyers don't feel like screwing around - they just want the best" - some buyers don't have $3k or more to drop on a new JD and if all they made were their models that represent the legacy of the green paint, then many of us would never own one.

Oh, and General Tire is a subsidiary of Continental, and they provide OEM tires to Ford, Chevy, MB, Nissan and Toyota. And, I have Michelin OEM's on my car, and they suck.

• duke88
    16 years ago

Maybe a used larger GT is the way to go if you need one...that is if you can find a good one. We have a huge JD dealer about a mile from me (Iowa) and when I bought my new LA120 from them they had about 12 used larger GT tractors on hand that I checked out and they all looked very well used and offered no warranty. After driving around the area I noticed the larger units are used by the city ,the schools , city parks , the golf course , farmers that mow their ditches etc. or own a lawn business and believe me they don't trade them in till they are on their last leg. Most home owners in this small town (1900+ pop) have lawn tractors because the lots are large and most people have LT's not GT's because all they do is mow the yard. I believe in buying quality items for the most part...have Michelin Aqua treads on car , bought a Redmax leaf blower a couple weeks ago , have Snap-on , Makita , De Walt , Milwaukee etc. tools....but when I bought the LA120 I had to draw the line because that was all I needed. I will be 70 in a few months and only put 17.4 hours just mowing flat yard on the tractor this season ....so bottom line is it will probably out last me and is why I bought the LA120 and not one that will last 20+ years. So believe or not marineguy there's a tractor for everyones needs.

• duke88
    16 years ago

marineguy ... Why haven't you jumped in on the "L118 durability " thread ? , you could have lots of fun on that one and tell everyone I told you over & over again that the L-LA series are nothing but a POS. !

• kjjb0204
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A POS is relative to how you maintain the machine. With proper care and regular maintenance, I'm confident my new 110 will serve my basic needs for a long time.

• steve2ski
    16 years ago

kjjb0204,
    Read all this posts and you probably did the right thing. I'm 64 years young and one fact that I have learned that hasn't changed and probably never will is "people can spend your money very easely". If the used Simplicity was/is such a wonderful deal why didn't the people recommending that you spend "your money" on it ask if they could be inline right behind you to spend "thier money" on it, if you turned it down?
    You have a real JD with a warranty and no worries for the 2 yrs that the warranty is in place.
    In 1973 I purchased a new Sears ST10 GT, I was told by almost everyone to buy something different, "JD" used if I couldn't afford new, I sold the ST10 in June of 2002 it was running well and is today I think. I maintained it per the manual and stored it inside.
    Just remember, if its a good deal someone will try and buy it out from under you and thats how you can tell a good deal.
    Enjoy your real JD..........

• ridonkulus
    16 years ago

i talked to the guy who was selling the regent. he ran it for the first 10 hours without any oil in it. but the rollers do a great job striping.

kjjb, i think you made a good choice.

• User
    16 years ago

"i talked to the guy who was selling the regent. he ran it for the first 10 hours without any oil in it.

WOW, what an engine, Kohler Command engines sure are tough! 10 hours without ANY oil in it and it still "sounds and runs smooth, starts easy" as kjjb0204 said in his original post.

• marineguy
    16 years ago

Kjjb,
    Yes, I'm aware Continental owns General. Michelin also owns BF Goodrich and Uniroyal. I worked my way through college in a tire shop, probably installing 4,000 tires of every major brand. The quality of Michelins is something which is simply not debatable. You and I obviously have different ideas about the balance between quality and affordability. If I can't afford something, I don't want the manufacturer to cheapen their product to include me; I'll be able to afford it eventually. Would I like a $4,000 Brietling on my wrist? Sure. Do I want them to build a $400 model which looks the same and uses the same dealer network, but uses a Chinese movement? No. Would I buy one? Absolutely not.

Happy mowing.

• marineguy
    16 years ago

Duke,

The L118 has issues with durability?

• jreitano
    15 years ago

Just a thought from my little world- I've got a Simplicity 3012 from 1967- unknown hours on the engine, never rebuilt, she pushes dirt and snow like no tomorrow and throws snow like a new tractor..... I recommend Simplicity.

• leo1949
    15 years ago

I have an old Simplicity Model # 1691899 and it would not go into drive. I took out the cover to check the drive belt and discovered that the spring had broken off the idle pulley.
    I bought another one part # 1727149SM but can't figure out how it goes back on.
    The idle pulley has a hole in it so I know one end goes there but the other end has me stumped.I don't know where to connect it.
    The online manual that I was looking at said connect to frame.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks leoj

• njdpo
    15 years ago

oh man ... what a tear jerker ... wish I had the cash for that combo...

and to add salt to the wound - you ended up with a JD ... this is worse than a 1st love long gone story...

sob ... sniffle...

• jim-cathy_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

after reading all the opinions about this guy, i'm convinced that there are more misinformed fools in this world than i had thought before i just bought an older 12h.p. simplicity tractor that came with the 36" blower, and the 36" mower deck, all for $500.00. it's not that i couldn't afford a nice new j.d. tractor from the local big box store, i'm 70 years old. most people i know, realize that the big box stores sell inferior merchandise. j.d. tractors that are sold from these places are cheap, junk.. this is all because j.d. wants everybody to own their product. they have done the one thing that will damage their good name, forever, all because they are trying to tighten their belts and make even more money..in the end, anybody with a half a brain could figure this out. i'm a believer that the older tractors are built better and they were meant to last and last. the newer ones are meant to be thrown away so you will buy another new one, just as it is with most things..for my money, anybody is better off buying a good used tractor that still will outlast a new big box one, providing that the older one has been taken care of. the guy will probably regret ever buying the piece of junk but, i'm sure he'll enjoy driving his tractor that shines more than the used simplicity. just my three cents worth. jim.

• jsbowman72
    8 years ago

If you can get a simplicity with that snowblower for that cheap i would go for it hands down. All i use is simplicity and allis chamlers lawn mowers nothing can get better than that and after you use a time or two i bet you would agree. I went from using a john deere 240 to using a simplicity landlord and i wouldnt go back ive actully been looking for another simicity

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions