SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
champagne_gw

Devil Tree (white poplar) just won't die! Help!!!

champagne
14 years ago

I thought I posted this, but don't see it anywhere, so forgive me if you see it twice.

I cut down a white poplar last year because it destroyed my french drain (cost me $300 to fix) and popped up suckers ALL OVER my yard and lawn, including through my crushed rock landscape and nice raised beds for vegetables and flowers. Big, big roots and hundred of suckers over weeks and months. Been pulling them all up to no avail. They keep coming and coming.

I've resorted to putting small amounts of poison on the ends of cut roots that I can't pull out any farther, even though I'm into organic gardening. (This is hard for me!)

I've read about white poplars---the more you disturb and cut it, the more it sprouts and grows!!!! But if I stop, they'll just take hold and get bigger and make more trees.

My question is, will this ever end? I call it "Devil Tree" because it just won't die. It's holding me hostage in not being able to put in more garden beds, or even a greenhouse because of the constant popping up of sprouts and roots just under the surface of everything.

It's ruining my summer and take up huge amounts of time and energy that I could be spending on enjoying gardening!

Please help me!

Comments (9)