SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Quest for Deck Coating continues

Hi Folks,

That time of year, took off the deck and put on the dozer blade and chains, changed oil, air filter and plugs, ready to rock and roll.

OK, last year I researched deck coatings as I was not happy with either the "cheap" rattle can paint or rustoleum, they both seemed to get "sand blasted" off and when I took off the deck had a lot of rust under there.

I found some good reviews about using auto undercoating spray on mower decks and thought, why not? Last fall, cleaned and wire brushed the deck, and put two coats of auto undercoat on. Looked good. Then a year later I took the deck off.

The underside fo the deck was coated in about an eighth inch of dirt? It had evidently adhered to the undercoat and sat there all year attracting and holding moisture. Scraped that off and found rust. Seems worse using that than paint. Oh well, paint is cheap and does work after a fashion.

Answering the obvious, no, I didn't mow with the undercoat damp, it had all winter to dry. Yes, I take the blades off to touch them up during the summer, but just drive up on ramps and don't pull the deck.

Just sharing,

Ev

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions