SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

Fantasy Variations and Chimeras ?

floridabear
15 years ago

1. Can someone tell me if 'Bob's Omega' is a Chimera? I just got it and the stripes are so strong on it, I think it is a Chimera, But it wasnt in the description when I bought it on EBay. It is in great shape and blooming all over the place. and more stems coming. IF it is a Chimera....do I have to do anything special to make it grow and bloom?

2. About fantasy bloom violets. I love 'Quite Riot'. I bought one that has such a wild fantasy bloom and HUGE bloom,I had to get more. So I have bought 3 more over the past year from the same grower, the 4th one came today, and sure enough it is like 1 of my other 'Quite Riot' plants. Tons of blue blooms with only tiny specks of white. Doesn't look like my white splashed 'Quite Riot' that got me hooked on them. Are fantasy bloom violets a 'crap shoot' in the bloom department? You could get all blue, all white, my blue with specks, or like my terrific white and blue splashed one? Is it JUST 'Quite Riot' That does this? Or do all fantasy bloomers do this? It just depends on the 'gene pool' of the plant?. And you get whatever the plant whats to put out that particular bloom cycle? I was about to throw out the 'blue speckled ones' today, then I got this exact same plant and bloom today on this new Quite Riot! So I am just wondering if it is ONLY 'Quite Riot' that does this,or do ALL fantasys do this,...and you get a different pattern each time, and it is a 'crap shoot' what you will get? The one 'Quite Riot' I have that has HUGE blooms, and the wide splashes of white and blue blooms, I thought it was a different variety. BUT it looks like 'Quite Riot',from all the pictures I see of its blooms all over the internet. So I know its right.

And I doubt a grower would have the wrong name on the same plant 3 times! Who has been growing and selling for 30 years. He sells the only BIG violets in full bloom,that I get in a 3in pot, instead of a stupid 3oz solo cup and no blooms!! For the same price!

Anyway...what's the story?. And if someone else is growing 'Quite Riot' and is in bloom, maybe you could post a picture of your blooms? And I could see if my fantastic one is 'Quite Riot' or not. I wish I had a cheap digital camera to post a picture, but I don't, and posting a picture is out of my league.

This also happens with my 'Funambule' violet. I get all blue blooms sometimes, then I get the great white splashes for 2-3 bloom cycles. BUT the one I got today, has more variegation on the leaves, but nearly all blue blooms and only specks of white, but it is a big plant and full of variegation on the leaves, but I dont care about that. Same grower of all 3 Funambules. My oldest one blooms blue with big white splashes. But the 2 that came today, are nearly all blue and variegated leaves. I know they are the right plant. Time will tell if a different growing climate will give me my great fantasy blooms I am looking for. But I wanted to ask you all if there is something more going on here that I just dont know about. Is it JUST these 2 varieties? They are just unstable varieties? And I will get different blooms everytime? Boy this is a long one!

Comments (5)