SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearbhaill

OMG the fragrance of Blush Noisette- and a deadheading question

Some of you may remember a couple of years ago I was trying to determine which variety of rose my G-G-Grandmother may have grown in eastern Kentucky circa 1850's. We got it narrowed down to a few possibilities and based on years and colors I went with Blush Noisette and put three in my front yard in the fall of 2011.

Their first spring saw a few blossoms but this year they are tremendous! First- the numbers of blossoms per cluster is astounding- there must be thousands of buds on these three shrubs. But the most amazing thing is the fragrance. I walk into my front yard every morning and smell cinnamon all around me. I have had passersby stop and ask me what that amazing fragrance is- it is so wonderful I don't have words. It smells for all the world as if someone is baking with their windows open.

So a word of thanks to all who know and appreciate the old varieties, and especially to those who first suggested that this might be the variety she grew over 150 years ago.

Now- as to deadheading. I am finding differing views on how much of each cluster to remove- do I go in there and try to do each individual flower (there are too many!) or snip the entire cluster (not all of the buds have opened)? I don't want to sacrifice unopened buds but would like to remove the unsightly spent blossoms. If I wait long enough they will fall off if I merely rattle them, but aren't I supposed to really deadhead for the health of the plant?

I found an old thread here that referenced photos taken by jerijen illustrating where to actually snip on the cluster Noisette's, but unfortunately the photos are no longer viewable. If anyone has them saved I would so love to see them. It also talks about "snapping" off the old blooms but I don't quite know how or where to snap.
Thanks for any advice!

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread I'm talking about

Comments (6)