SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruhia_gw

JD X300/360/500/530 for snow blowing

ruhia
9 years ago

Greetings,
I have a half an acre I mow with a Honda walk behind and 150' long driveway, partially slopped, with a landing area totaling about 2700sqft which I snow plow with a shared Ariens 28".
Recently, I feel that mowing takes too long with the 21" walk behind at a pace slower than slow slowly walking. Ariens always felt like wrestling an 800 pound gorilla to the point that I opted to manually shovel the driveway.
That's the background. I wanted to find out if I could get a rider which can quicken the time to mow the grass (don't have many obstacles to go around) and have a snow blower attachment which would allow me to clear the snow without breaking a sweat that freezes on my skin. I have a limited throw options so I need to throw to the front for about 40' portion of the driveway (one side is next door's driveway, the other side is the house with a sliver of space).
After some reading and search I thought I could get an X300 with a 48" deck and a 44" blower attachment as well as maybe a collector etc. I went to speak to a local dealer. His input made me to think about X500 as an option, according to his suggestion that X300 will not have enough traction when the blower is attached shifting the weight forward. The add on weights would not be sufficient because what's needed will exceed the limit of X300. Even with the chains, I will not be satisfied, he says. I have no reason to believe, so far, that he is trying to up-sale. Then, I started to look at a little closer on X500 series to discover there are some other options to consider.
Now questions;
- Can the X300 series handle the 44" blower? Would there be any compromise with regards to durability of the drive train due to the increased demand from the weight and the pushing against the snow?
- How much of a difference power steering and power lift would make? My knees are not the most reliable so therefore I am thinking it could be a good investment looking ahead. I am not interested in four wheel steering mostly due to the extra cost, additional weight and mechanical complexity and most of all not needing it for my yard.
- From X300 to X360 to get power steer and lift gets a different engine. What is the difference and worth price?
- From X3xxx to X500 is yet another difference in engine but this power steer and lift are gone unless X530 is the next logical up. Prices are $3000 to $5300 to $5900 to $7000 for 300, 360, 500 and 530, respectively. From 300 to 560 it jumps more than double at $4000 for an engine upgrade, wider deck and power steer/lift.
- I don't want to use chains on my brand new pavement either. I understand some people are quite happy with add on weights and HDAp tires.
I guess this is a good place to start... :)

Comments (27)

Sponsored