SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowguy716

Bur oak and Autumn blaze maple

snowguy716
15 years ago

I bought four 30 gallon potted trees last summer from a local nursery. Early this spring (which was one of the coldest on record with a very cold start to summer), things were looking great with all four trees.

As time went on, while the Siouxland Cottonwood and Red Splendor crab were leafing out/flowering/growing, I noticed the oak buds, which had just burst, were not progressing at all and the tiny maple leaves were bitten by frosts at the end of May and the leaves dried up and crinkled.

Here we are on June 21st, and the maple is sprouting suckers up from the root collar.. and I'm not sure if there are new buds coming up or not on the tree. I did the scratch test and it's still green.. will it re-leaf?

The oak, I'm even more worried about. The buds turned green and then these tiny little leaf nubs started to push out, about 1/8" long.. and then they stopped. Most of them have turned brown and are just sticking out that tiny bit. It looks like some other buds are swelling.

I noticed last year that the leaves were a bit smaller and too light greenish colored, so I worked a bit of minor minerals (iron, etc.) and some bone meal into the soil around the tree... but I'm sure that didn't harm the tree as I purposely went very light.

There is still green under the bark.

Is it possible that it's just taking forever and it will leaf out again later? I planted 10 2-3 year old bur oak seedlings last year, and only two have leafed out thus-far... I'm guessing transplant shock caused the delay.

What do you think?

Comments (7)