SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sos23_gw

Transplant shock!

sos23
10 years ago

Hi there!

I need some help super fast! I just bought 3 English pyramidal oak trees from a tree farm. They are 12 feet or more each and I was so excited that I had fond them for such a reasonable price. My husband and I went to pick them up. The roots were wrapped in burlap and wire. We wrapped the trees up in some burlap and brought them home (about a 40 min drive).

When we got home, my husband and three other strong fellows tried to move them to the back yard, but they were way too heavy. We couldn't put them on any sort of tractor or other vehicle because the yard is fenced and the opening is about 3 feet wide at the door. So the only way back there was with a wheel barrow. Anyhow, to be able to even lift the trees, they opened up the root balls and washed away some of the soil.

I wasn't too pleased but I guess that was the only way the trees could be moved.

The trees were planted in proper sized holes and back filled ensuring there were no air pockets. Then then we unwrapped the trees, we noticed that the leaves had suffered from windburn. :(

It's been about 2 weeks, I've watered them with a transplant fertilizer, kept the soil moist and properly mulched them. Unfortunately, the leaves have all shrivelled up and turned brown. Some have even started to drop.

Have we killed the trees? I'm so upset...

I have about 5 bags of bio-sol soil that I'm thinking of putting at their base, but I'm not sure if that's something I should even bother doing at this point.

I would appreciate any help!

X.

Comments (10)