SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schatham_gw

Multiple problems with Briggs 12.5 hp motor on lawnmower

schatham
9 years ago

I have a Briggs & Stratton 12.5 HP engine on my mower. Model # is m28707 type = 0178 trim = 01.

I'm posting a photo of the top of the starter & the flywheel.

One of the issues is with the starter. It's not doing it now, but what will happen is the gear will run all the way up the plastic threaded sleeve to engage the flywheel. What is wrong is that the gear will run up to the top of the sleeve and either binds or gets stuck above the threaded sleeve & will stay there. Either that, or the spring around the threaded sleeve isn't strong enough to push the gear back down after the motor starts. The gear, threaded sleeve, spring, cap, etc on the starter are all new. Starter is on good & tight.

I didn't know it until I replaced the gear, but the starter had the spring under the gear as I got the mower from, brand new. I'd never replaced it in the time I've owned it.

Second problem is the flywheel itself. Because (I think) the starter's gear & spring were installed backwards, the flywheel has a lot of the teeth that are either chipped out or worn down due to the way the starter got installed from the dealer. As a result, there's only a small portion of the flywheel that will engage with the starter (which sticks). I have to twist the flywheel around until I can get it to engage in order to start it.

As a result of both of these problems, it's gotten almost impossible to start. When started though, it runs fine.

I'm sure I will have to replace the flywheel, but I had a question about the starter & why the gear sticks at the top of it. Everything's tight on the starter & it works okay, except for the gear sticking & staying at the top, engaged with the flywheel. Any ideas about how to fix this sticking/binding problem?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions