SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deebs43

Homemade bin for folks with little time or energy

deebs43
17 years ago

I've been reading this forum for quite a while and, based on the number of people who (like me) are concerned about the effort, calculation, and time involved in some forms of composting, thought some might be interested in how I've been doing it.

Context: I live in the Chicago metro area. Space and time are at a premium; possums and racoons are a dime a dozen.

I had a 25-gallon blue Rubbermaid tote I wasn't using anymore. I drilled two rows of holes around the bottom third of the tote and drilled another ten holes in the bottom. I used a large drill bit, probably about 1/2". Then I drilled a half dozen holes in the lid. It took about 10 minutes, and that's including the time it took me to find the blasted drill.

I throw kitchen scraps, leaves, shredded junk mail, dryer lint, and pruned flowers in the bin. When it rains, the water drips through the lid and moistens the scraps.

Animals can't get in, except the soil dwellers...those I find by the hundreds under the bin when I move it. Lots of worms, millipedes, pill bugs, and more. Sometimes mushrooms sprout around the base.

All I do is throw in scraps and move the bin around the yard--I change its location in the garden about once a month. Then, I just put my new plants or transplants wherever the bin had been living.

The results are excellent for the effort. All last winter I moved the compost bin around an 80-square-foot area, and the tomato plants I planted there this spring thrived. Tomatoes planted in other areas didn't do nearly as well.

The soil under the bin gets soft and loamy in only a few weeks. The best part is that I've had to empty the bin only ONCE in a year and a half! The contents just keep decomposing, being eaten by the creepy-crawlies and sinking into the soil. (Sometimes when I move the tote I find short tee-pee shaped hills of fine compost with worms crawling out of them.) Plus, rain makes a natural compost tea that soaks the whole area around the tote.

I'll take a picture later and post it.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County