SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigred_gw

Things you thought you couldn't germinate

bigred
15 years ago

Ok...are there things you have sewn you thought would never germniate for you. Either WS or under light because of the nature of the seeds or by what you had read on germinating certain seed.

I've read troubles folks had w/: Cleome lutea. I had about 7-8 seeds from a trade from '07 and read it was hard to germinate. I WS them a couple of weeks ago in un-heated greenhouse and just day before yesterday,I noted them sprouting.

Inside under light:dodecatheon/Shooting Star: I sewed these over a pot of seed starting mix w/ a thin layer of med grade vermucilite,seeds sprinkled over the top then I placed the pot in a zip lock bag and refrigerated 12/17/08 until 1/31/09 then brought them out under light/no heat and they sprouted 2/1/09

Chorizema cordatum/Heart leaf Flame Pea. These are old seeds from about '06 and I've been trying a few seeds every year to get them started.Last year I Ws,no pretreatment in un-heated GH. One germinated only to die shortly after. This year:I soaked some more seeds in hotess water from sink for 24 hrs.,changing water 3 x before sewing in seed starting mix "under" a thin layer of vermicilte under light on heat mat,pot covered with clear plastic wrap 12/30/08. One came up and kept wilting down so I removed it from the heat mat but still under light then several more popped up over the course of several days. I've still have the plastic wrap over the pot put loosely,proped up with the label and tongue depressor.

I had a 6 pk of mimulus pictus sprouting but it dried out to much and seedlings died. You win some and you loose some. I'm on my 4 or 5 th. time (traded and bought)with attempting to get columbine "Roamn Bronze"to sprout.

Let us hear about your trails and errors on getting seeds started you never thought you'd be growing form seed.

Peggy

Comments (10)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional