SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silverowl

Blue Spruce (Picea Pungens) Problem

silverOwl
9 years ago

This is my first time posting on this forum so hopefully I'm doing it in the right area etc, I tried googling for this problem but I'm having trouble coming across anything, maybe I'm just not finding the right way of phrasing it. I'm hoping someone has some advice about my blue spruce I have. It was originally sent to my dad by the arbor day foundation as a freebie, but he didn't want it so he gave it to me. Unfortunately he left it in the bag it came in for like a week or two before even mentioning it to me (he's not a plant person), and it looked like the whole thing was going to die by the time I got it as the whole thing at that point was yellow. That having been said I planted it in a container anyways for the time being to see if it might come around and maybe a month or so later, while a huge majority of the tree looks like it died, two of the branches turned green and sprouted out new little things. My question is I guess, is it going to balance itself out? Do I chop off the dead branches/will that make it grow new ones or are the two branches it has the only ones it will ever have (in which case will it even grow into a tree?). The center branch/stem was one of the ones that looks like it died (the green behind it is a separate branch). I'm going to attempt to attach a picture for reference.

This post was edited by silverOwl on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 15:40

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus