SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimgilliland_gw

LT1045 PTO replacement

JimGilliland
11 years ago

The PTO on my Cub Cadet LT1045 will no longer engage its blades. I spent several days working through the suggestions on troubleshooting the problem using several existing threads on this site, and I've now closed in on the problem.

The ground wire going into the clutch itself is broken at the clutch. There is about 1/4 inch of bare wire coming out of the clutch.

First question: The clutch itself seems to turn freely, housing and all. This means that the wires are stretched and twisted easily. I assume that this shouldn't happen. How is the clutch anchored?

Second question: If I want to remove the clutch to either replace it or (better) try to repair the wires, how do I dismount it from the engine? There is a 5/8 (16mm) bolt holding the belt pulley in place, and I've read directions elsewhere suggesting that the clutch can be removed by simply removing this bolt. However, when I try to remove the bolt, it turns the entire engine shaft. So how do I lock the rest of the shaft so that I can turn the bolt alone? Or am I doing something entirely wrong here?

Thanks in advance to anyone can help me here.

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH
More Discussions