SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ambbutterfly

Lasagna gardening ?

ambbutterfly
16 years ago

I'm not sure what I'm doing. lol How do you know what a "green" is and what a "brown" is? Why are coffee grounds green? They look brown to me. I'm trying to figure out how to come up with greens at this horrid time of the year. I'm wondering if I can even have my lasagna garden ready by late spring because of not being able to obtain green materials. I guess my lasagna garden won't really be much of a "lasagna" style. It's not like I'm strictly adhering to the brown-green-brown style since I'm lacking a layer of green. My lasagna garden is more of a brown-brown-smattering of green. I have cardboard boxes and newspapers for the base. Are they both brown? I don't mean I put them on top of each other but that when I ran out of one to cover the grass, I covered the rest of the grass with the other. So the first layer is a combination newspaper/cardboard layer. It's impossible to get fresh grass clippings this time of the year but I would be able to add some of those in the spring. On top of the base layer I dumped out garbage bags full of leaves, and everything after that has been getting put on top of those. I've been throwing out any vegetable and fruit peels that I have, tea bags, some coffee grounds, and maybe a few other things I can't think of offhand. I really don't think that things can rot up this time of the year with our freezing temperatures we have most of the time. Will it be okay if I just keep adding onto the top of what I have here at the house and then add grass clippings in the spring? Maybe I can try to tuck the grass clippings under the leaves and other things so that there aren't two brown layers together or is it really all that big of a deal to adhere to the brown-green-brown theme?

Comments (18)

Sponsored