SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Have you ever said: 'I hate this' and leveled it to start over?

mmqchdygg
16 years ago

I've been growing this space (~25x6) in front of my LR picture window for the past 3 years. "Cottage Garden" box mix from WM. 2007 was season 3, and I absolutely hated it this year. I'm not sure if this is "late season blues" setting in, or what, but I'm very nearly feeling frustrated that the weeds are taking over, and everything is or has gone by.

I thought I might just pull out the Q.A. Lace, since that was an eyesore, and move & shuffle some other items to the space, but the later the season progressed beyond that, it started to just look horrible- PERIOD. I realized I really wasn't thrilled with 1/2-dozen stands of Gloriosa daisy, the early Lupines, a couple patches of shastas, who-knows-where-these-tall-garden-phox-came-from, and some Knautia and Maximillian Sunflower that is nearly 8' tall already, but hasn't bloomed yet. It's totally not working for me.

So I proceeded to rip out the entire section last night, and will start fresh next season. It had also overgrown itself with what I am told is ragweed, too.

I'm starting to think that the folks who have a serious love for annuals have got the right idea. With my tendency to get bored quickly, and want to change things up often, I think I'm headed in that direction.

So the plan is now to take the stone wall (on the left), section it into 3 smaller, manageable beds, and plant them with different annuals next year. All of the other plants are being given away.

Have you ever just up and ripped out an entire garden on a whim?

{{gwi:259240}}

Comments (12)