SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onthebrinck

Drought --- can I learn from this?

onthebrinck
13 years ago

Freehold Borough,New Jersey has had only 3 measurable rainfalls since Mother's Day and average high temperatures 7-10 degrees above normal, with one day reaching 102.5F. Even the new leaves on established trees are turning brown. I picked this, my first season here, to plant 40 major perennials/shrubs and 500 annuals. To keep them alive I spend 3-4 hours per day hand watering ... I gave up on the lawn about a month ago ... now it's just to save the perennials.

It's not all awful news --- the marigolds and sedum love it!

When I shopped for perennials, I researched full-sun/partial shade plants and made sure the nursery confirmed my purchases. If some of these shrubs are withering, drooping or producing brown leaves, does that indicate that they are not suitable for sunny locations? Are they more subject to the heat or the drought conditions --- so that all the watering in the world won't help? Or is this just so unusual a season, that there's no way to judge how a plant would usually do? Or is it because it's their first season in the ground that they are showing signs of stress in this heat?

I guess the questions are geared toward whether some of this stuff should be replaced in the fall or should wait til next year to see how they do.

Comments (14)