SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noki_gw

Form of Ginkgo grown from seed naturally?

noki
16 years ago

I know that Ginkgo biloba is very variable from seed but what would a tree look like grown from seed undisturbed? Multitrunked? With branches to the ground? Most older trees I see also are very upward oriented and somewhat narrow even with a second leader developing 10 feet up in the tree. Is the one leader into a broader tree just a rarer selected trait with grafts, and years of training a young tree?

Most of the trees I've seen have one trunk cleared up quite a bit but is this natural, how does the tree grow naturally? I've seen one with two almost equal trunks almost twisting around one another, less than 20 foot high tree, the only younger tree I've seen yet so different. Would branches grow low on a younger tree naturally, or would it be branched to the ground for years?

And with grafted trees the branches on younger trees usually look kinda confused and "poorly thought out" with angled central leaders and messy odd branches. Is this a result of grafting a branch, that the growth is confused and so awkward? Or just the same no matter what? Some older trees I see have a geometric beauty about them, almost like a crystal-like pattern which is so different and cool, so in the end the tree hardly seems confused if somewhat random.

Comments (6)