SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Helpful Thoughts about Invasives, Natives, etc.!

arbo_retum
13 years ago

I was so impressed by gardengal48's post(buried in another thread) that I thought many of you might enjoy, that I'm reposting it here(with her O.K.!)This was taken from another thread, and was written by gardengal48:

I think it is important NOT to use the terms "naturalized" and "invasive" interchangeably :-) They are not the same. A great many plants have the ability to naturalize or self-sow to some degree yet never become invasive. Certainly a plant that naturalizes wildly or over a large area has invasive potential, yet it is not a valid conclusion to assume it is or even likely to be so. For example, common privet, Ligustrum vulgare, which is most likely the hedge plant referred to above, is not considered invasive - or a defined ecological threat - in many areas of the country. Location and climate play a huge part in any plant's invasive characteristics and what may be considered invasive or potentially invasive in one particular area may be a perfectly well-behaved plant elsewhere. There are other species of ligustrum that offer a much more threatening nature over a far wider area and those should certainly be avoided. But being evergreen, they are far less likely to be successful or even hardy in colder climates and their threat is typically limited to mild winter climate areas.

And while I endorse the use of native plants for many cases - localized hardiness and suitability for various climate and soil limitations, attraction for wildlife, native area reclamation - limiting one's gardening choices to only or even primarily native plants is unnecessarily restricting. Many of these are also considered weedy and while not technically "invasive", they are sometimes overly aggressive spreaders also and often not very ornamental. There are huge numbers of non-native or 'exotic' plants that are not the slightest bit aggressive or invasive that add considerable color, interest and ornamental value to our landscapes and should not be discounted simply because they are not a native species.

Comments (13)