SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
speedster1_winston

fixing a very acidic soil in transplanted rose bush

speedster1
9 years ago

I recently picked up one of those 3-1 pH, light, moisture meters and I've going around testing the soil at various places in my lawn and garden, along with potted plants.

I'm not 100% sure how accurate the pH meter is but for the most part all of the reading make sense. The pH near my blueberry bushes reads around 5.5 and the pH in other parts of my garden is closer to 6.5. Just started using holly tone to bring the pH down at my blueberries

What has alarmed me is that I recently transplanted a rose bush into an area next to my porch stoop. I tested the pH near the roots of the rose and the pH shows 4.0! I'm not sure why it would be that low as I used a fresh bag of Miracle grow potting soil mixed with a little bit of sand and sphagnum moss. I know blueberries and azalias like very acidic soil but as far as I know roses should be closer to 6.5..

My question now is how do I bring the pH back up? I have pelletized lime that I use on my lawn but I don't think that would act fast enough. What should I do?

Comments (10)