SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

who has experience growing metasequoia from seed

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

So I have some ~8 week old Metasequoia seedlings. Posting here vs. continuing my post about this at the Conifers forum, since there seems to be more posting traffic here lately.

It seems like Metasequoia seedlings have a lot of variability - can anyone add their $0.02? There are also a few scattered Acer rubrum seedlings as you can see in the pic - I just took some of the samaras that fell off my October Glory and stuck them there just for the heck of it - but those won't be the focus of this post.

The empty cells are either duds that never grew, or a couple I have potted up (too soon - there was plenty of room for more root growth). The small one at the left of the pic is actually about a week older than the others, but has remained small. Right above it (and below the maple) is a brand-new seeding that JUST sprouted despite being planted for 2 months. Weird. The ones in the middle look like "typical" Metasequoia seedlings I've seen, but the three in the upper right are odd - the one just to the left of the upper right corner has a slightly different needle shape, an odd looking growth tip, no branching at all, and the leaves almost looked alternate for a while. The two seedlings nearest it appear sparser than the others (although healthy) - taller but more space between leaves. They lmost look etoliated from lack of light, but they all get about 3 hrs direct sun and bright shade/filtered sunlight the rest of the day.

Basically - are these all going to end up more or less the same, or do I have anything potentially unique?

The one on the left - possibly a dwarf, or just a runt that should be culled?

The upper right ones - esp. the one with the "odd" growth pattern, anything unique?

Comments (23)