SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

What are your other addictions! (pics)

ladyrose65
13 years ago

In Lieu, of the Seed Addiction. What are some of your other addictions? Books and Movies.

{{gwi:346938}}

Books

{{gwi:346940}}

More Books

{{gwi:346939}}

Comments (60)

• PVick
    13 years ago

No way am I going to post pics of my addictions - I'd have to pull everything out, and then it'll be 2020 before I get them put away again!

But - ladyrose, your bookcases are very similar to mine, except MUCH neater. I'm a book fanatic - any and all, fact and fiction. Craft books, cook books (plus I collect recipes from the internet), gardening books, text books (a bit of a math freak), ad infinitum. Favorites, though, are political intrigue and murder mysteries (sometimes synonymous). With eight shelving units around the place, I still have piles stacked on the floor. I'm a bit anal about my books - don't lend them out, mainly because folks don't treat my books right - LOL! Even though they are all very well read, they still look new!

Movies - love the old classics from the 30's and 40's, and some silents as well. Got a good sampling of the newer classics too. My most favorite movie of all time - "How Green Was My Valley". Nothing has come along to replace that one for me.

Then there's the fabric - boxes and boxes of it. I used to make all my clothing (I'm a darned good seamstress, if I say so myself), but haven't sewn much of anything in the last 5 years or so. That didn't stop me from buying fabric though. When I get ready to sew again, I'll have everything I need.

Yarn. I knit and crochet; since I stopped smoking two years ago, I've taken both up again, with a vengeance. Keeps my hands busy. So, the yarn stash, which had been nicely depleted, is growing again by leaps and bounds. For you knitters/crocheters out there, check out Ravelry (ravelry.com) - great projects and ideas there!

Basket weaving supplies - not extensive, but there. Beaded Christmas ornaments; I don't put up a Christmas tree any more, but I still make the ornaments. Lots of macrame supplies. See the drift here? At one point or another, I've tried all kinds of needlework and crafts. My enduring interest in any one of them can be determined by how many supplies for each is still in my place.

I collected cameos and silver bracelets for a while, and I am still a watch fanatic.

And the gardening! Pots, big and little; soil - right now I have 10 cu. ft. of the stuff (4 big bags) piled in a corner by the terrace door (I have a ton of stuff to transplant this year); plus all the gardening paraphernalia - mulch, bamboo stakes, flower stakes, plant food, bug stuff, worm casings, bat guano, etc., etc., etc. And SEEDS!

Luckily for me, I have one of those old-fashioned NYC apartments - read BIG! If it weren't for that, you'd probably be seeing me on an episode of "Hoarders! LOL!

PV

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

I used to love to read, prior to having children, but with little ones around, quiet time is hard to find.

Most of my addictions are really all extensions of the seed addiction. Wintersowing led to seed collecting, which led to growing my own veggies/fruits, etc., which led to having to figure out what to do with the harvest, which led to canning.

This
    {{gwi:353383}}

Leads to this
    {{gwi:353384}}

Oh, wintersowing also led to taking pictures of all the wintersown flowers, another addiction. DH teases me about having more pictures of my plants than I do our children.

So you see, one addiction just feeds another : )

Bonnie

• Related Discussions

Revision of 'You Know You're Addicted to Gardening When' :

Q

Comments (2)
    Someone's bound to come on and chastise me, but...About the annuals thing: there was a time 20 yrs ago when your 2nd teeshirt would have been most appropriate in my book. I'll NEVER forget when, 20 yrs ago,3 yrs. after moving here, I met the local garden club president, standing in line at the bank. And I swear to you, I am not kidding, that after I told her about our gardens,she asked me, "What's a perennial?"* But now annuals are yet another extension (along w/ tropicals etc.) of the vast world of "the advanced gardener". My version of your annuals tshirt would say "Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Impatiens" (but then again there ARE some exquisite exotic impatiens...!)and I bet many gardeners have their own fill-in-the-blank dislikes. best, mindy www.cottonarboretum.com/ * I am NOT saying that garden club presidents are all like this.That experience was mine, in my particular town, in 1990.
    ...See More

Three months as an AV Addict (Pic's)

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you all for the praise. It means so much Dognapper: I'm glad you got started again. So much fun. The Katchina was put together by a Navajo elder about thirty years ago. Sadly I don't remember the katchinas name. It had to do with corn or planting if I remember. You did get me searching the net trying to ID him (or Her). minimac: You sound like me. I bought three noid's at various stores, a year later they seemed happy, one had bloomed all winter. So i decided to learn something about them, and I found this forum. The rest is history LOL. It is funny to hear you say it will be good for your plants for you to be away. I said on one of these threads that my plants would appreciate me leaving them alone for a few days, and I wondered if people would understand what I meant. When I first started learning how to pot and learning what worked for me I was always picking at them or re-re potting, and I'm sure they appreciated a break. Yes I have leaves down. I just potted a few babies and have a few more that will be ready soon. I have a isolation/hospital shelf in another room. At one point my isolation shelf was more full than my collection shelves lol. There are several plants there that should have been in the pictures. ines 99: Yes,that is Funambule. It started sending out buds right after I repotted. Came from the Violet Barn. For lighting I use 48" fluorescent shop lights with a full spectrum bulb and a 4100K T8 Thanks again. Thom
    ...See More

To Canadian hippeastrum addicts, other can read too!

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi Dan, The figures I have so far are this from their email: "Costs involved in exporting to Canada (or anywhere else) are high. Quarantine costs here would cost about $160.00 plus courier costs to AQIS for inspection about $120.00 and also export certificate about $100.00. These are approx figures but wouldn't be far out." That's more than $400 (canadian) and it doesn't include shipping yet, a figure that I should get sometime soon with more precision, so far I only have a very rough idea that tells me that the additional costs per bulb would be around $10 more than listed on their site (including all fees). I haven't had a look at their other stuff since I'm after hippeastrum only and found they had some cultivar not seen anywhere or different enough from the ones we know well, enough to be of interest, to me anyway, and may be to several other persons. I fully understand though that they may not be of interrest to many peoples, for all kind of reasons: not different enough, costs, etc. I suppose that if anyone wants anything very rare, he/she must find that one special dealer that has these items, establish a particular relationship in order to gain access to that treasure. At least, that's what I used to do when I was importing orchids for myself or for group orders similar to what I'm trying to do with this order. Say Dan, have you ordered from Maguire before or was it only from somewhere else in this country? If you have ordered from them, would you mind sharing what was your experience with them? They seem very reliable and Veronica Read only has good words for them in her book. Thank you for sharing that information Dan, and if anyone else has more to add, they are more than welcomed to do it. Laurier
    ...See More

My Befores/Your Afters...feeding hosta addiction (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (55)
    Hey Maow! Look what you found, eh? Lol First off, I just have to say again that I think your NOID is beautiful! I really hope mine will turn into that!!! I just took an update pic of Knockout and the NOID as it looks now...still small leaves but I attribute it to overwintering a division in a pot in this climate. I'm undecided where to plant it but I better come up with an answer soon. It will grow much better in the ground. Earlier I posted a thread where I thought I might have id'd the NOID as being Knockout. Ken thought it was close enough that it may be a Knockout. I hope it flowers so we can narrow it down some more. For now I have pics filed under both NOID and Knockout albums. See what you think, Maow. We could always revisit it in the fall if we can't get any closer I.D. now?
    ...See More
  • sjc48
    13 years ago

Pvick-I have been called "anal" so many times, with regards to my books, that I've lost count. Used to lend them, but after I lost a brand new gift hardback that I didn't even read yet, I have pretty much stopped lending. I was told "It's just a book" AGGGGGGGH!!
    Kmpsmom-My daughter wanted to buy me a Kindle for Christmas; told her to hold off until I ran out of corners!
    Gardenunusual-I've always thought of people who can do the manual photography as "real Photographers." My ex does film/manual photography, and I use a lot of his techniques with my digitals, but I just don't have the patience for the whole deal. Oh, by printing, I mean my trusty little HP photo printer, that I pray over daily!
    Manda3-Photomanipulation? Do you have Photo Shop?
    Hey, just got my seed order from Richters!! Gotta go prep jugs! Shirley!

• manda3
    13 years ago

I have Photo Shop's cheap sister, Paint Shop Pro. Does all the same things but the layers are less organized and the 1 pixel brush is less tiny.

• duane456
    13 years ago

farmville

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I love to crochet, I make afghans and blankets. I also like to read and I use to be huge into sketching.

The afghan on the left is one of the first afghans I made, I made it through patch work. The afghan in the middle is the one I am currently working on. I plan to make it where it will cover a king size bed, and this stitch is monotonous, so I take long breaks from it. The one on the right is my oldest daughters I made for her several years back.

{{gwi:353385}}

If you ever need a good laugh ask me to show a picture of the very first blanket I made!! LOL I have it stored and hid and my family picks on me that I would even keep it. It was worked in rounds and working in rounds for a first attempt is not smart at least if you want it to lay flat, LOL.

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

I collect Native American beadwork but have gotten much more selective lately in my acquisitions. I've been good, only two purchases in the last 5 years and I have weeded out some things too.

Mark me down as another person who sews and loves fabric. I also collect various types of Indian saris which I enjoy wearing on occasion.

• terrene
    13 years ago

I'm not addicted to winter-sowing or collecting seeds; those are just part of my real addiction - gardening!! I don't collect anything, don't do crafts, and don't have any other addictions (well except an occasional cigarette).

I love everything about gardening (except weeding and clean up) - growing stuff from seed, watching plants grow, designing gardens, raising butterflies, watching birds that come to the gardens, taking photos of the gardens/butterflies/birds, researching plants on the Internet, etc. Two years ago I had such terrible tendonitis I couldn't garden for 5 months during the height of gardening season and was so distraught I was nearly suicidal.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I have lots of interests and addictions. Gardening and growing from seed is my biggest. I am also a vinyl record collector, and collect/wear vintage clothing and "antiques" from the 50's -early 70's (all kinds, everything in our house except a few appliances is old). I also like to make my own clothing, do needlepoint, read, make my own herbal cleaners and self-care products, teas and more, prepare our harvest and come up with my own recipes!
    We are quite a diverse bunch!

• tomva
    13 years ago

I like to relic hunt,(using a metal detector to find civil war artifacts)I have been doing this for 25 years and have found 1000s of interesting artifacts...anything to get my hands in some dirt
    {{gwi:353386}}
    {{gwi:353387}}
    {{gwi:353388}}

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All these Hobbies and Interest's create a pretty Mosaic picture!

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

First of all, I must say HI to Mary****We were asking about you,I thought something was wrong,sorry about the big C.I hope you will good as gold in no time,Welcome back girlfriend.My heart is happy, to see you back :0)
    I have a small Hosta business,hubby and I do shows during
    the summer,and people come down to our houseas well.I like to sew,and sow,knit, crochet,and dabble in oil painting.I make Victorian Lamp Shades,working with my hands,doing anything.I like helping others.Right now,hubby and I are making Birdhouses,and boy,are they ever cute!ha ha
    I have collected all sorts of things over the years,right now, I am collecting old crocks,the search is always so much fun.I guess you could say, we do not need a house to live in, our house is our work shop, always something going on,haven't used the kitchen table since Thansgiving (( for eating )) ha ha
    cAROL

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

How could I forget,my alltime favotite ,,The WSing forum.
    I HATE T.V

• not_a_contessa
    13 years ago

And a big HI back to you, cAROL, thanks for the kind words. I am more optimistic now that I have been started on a new medicine and thankfully I don't get side effects from anything they give me.

Mary

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Tomva - that relic hunting sounds like a fun & fascinating hobby!

Aside from the altitude + a couple other things, I could copy & paste PV's addictions in this little message window and call them mine. Yarn--storage bins full from making preemie hats for the March of Dimes along with afghans for myself, family & friends. Crochet thread from my snowflake ornament phase. Fabric--storage bins full from making my own & my kids clothes for donkey's years along with most of the curtains in my house. Books--bookcase shelves full, boxes full, storage bins full up in the attic and out in the garage with more stacked on the floor.

Then there's the needlepoint & cross-stitch supplies, craft paint supplies, sewing supplies, boxes and boxes of kid photos, sailing photos, travel photos and flower photos plus several dozen reams of pretty printer paper for pen pal letters. I've been writing to my pal Eileen in England since my kids were little and my son turns 40 this year.

And what is it about pens? Why can't I stop buying them?

Seeds & gardening are just the most recent phase. I'm not up there with some of you folks since I only have two shoeboxes & two 10" x 14" x 3" storage boxes full of seed packs & little 2 oz. seed containers. I bought 3 compressed bales of growers mix back in August so I'd have enough for this year's winter sowing. Bale #1 is long gone & bale #2 is already open.

My TV remote stopped working back last spring some time which is the last time I watched it. Nothing on that's worth my time or that's as much fun as winter sowing and spending time on the forum.

• paulan70
    13 years ago

My other top passion has to be reading. Now the basic question of what do I collect well thatlist is simply too much stuff.hehe

Lets see I have the following collections

Lighthouses
    Barbies
    Mickey items some minnie
    snow globes mainly christmas
    scrapbooking stuff
    books (am getting a nook soon)
    movies I am a HUGE movie buff
    music
    Coca cola stuff
    Fonts on the computer
    wineglasses
    MILK JUGS

Not all things are actively collecting but I have a ton of them here. I use to collect beanie babies but I stopped that years ago. I have ton of the huge plastic containers of them.

And this does not include the stuff my dh collects.

Paula

• northforker
    13 years ago

What an interesting thread!

My passions are SEEDS and BEADS. Hubby says that he's grateful they are both small is size, or he'd have to move out.

I love everything about gardening, but really do like working with the seeds - sowing and also gathering seed at the end of the season.

Beads: Each year on our summer vacation, my daughter and I would go to a bead shop where you could pick out and purchase beads and they would help you make earrings/necklace/whatever. I finally decided I could do this at home and about 2 years ago I taught myself how to do the wire working (loops, etc) and other techniques required by watching U tube videos! My daughter has gone off to college and I have set up half her bedroom as my jewelry workshop. I shop for beads on ebay and other online sources (much cheaper than local stores)and I have acumulated QUITE a collection. This year I was able to make jewelry for holiday gifts and someday soon I might think about starting to sell some.

The only problem with this new hobby is that it takes time from my old one. I still have to package so much seed collected this fall!

I think its interesting that so many of us are not TV fans...with the exception of "Modern Family", I steer clear of the time wasting box!!

Nancy

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Fun thread!

My other addiction is reading - but I never seem to have any time for it. A few pages (hmm, more like paragraphs) when I get in bed and before my head hits the book, and that's it! (Then I forget what I read because I was half asleep and have to re-read it, so I don't get too far too fast!) I love history and biography. Who needs fiction - real life is so much more interesting!

And genealogy (I guess an extension of my love of history). I've finally put my nose to the grindstone in the last year and have made some great strides in filling out my family tree. Hmm, "tree"... I guess it's an extension of my love of gardening too!

:)
    Dee
    P.S. Duane, I hear from my kids that Farmville can be very addicting! Still trying to figure out why I can't get my kids in the garden to save my life but they spend all that time building up a fake farm, lol!

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

wow, so many cool hobbies! i too am a bookworm-- and bought a kindle to save on storage. i still buy physical books at times, but the kindle does help cut down on the clutter.

besides books, there's crafts. i do stained glass some but right now i'm into gourd stuff-- painting, woodburning, making jewelry, etc.

and then there's the newest one that has taken over my life-- DAYLILIES. oh the daylilies. i think i have finally found my signature plant ;)

wintersowing is now a close second. can anyone say ADDICT?!!

• daisydawnny
    13 years ago

Lets see, other than seeds, Wintersowing and gardening, I am a Pug addict, I have 2 and am totally head over heels in love with them or anything Pug. I crochet and have quite a yarn stash. Love to read but can't stand to sit still so I do not do much reading in my spare time.

• tepelus
    13 years ago

Rosemctier...I'm with you on the daylily addiction, there are just so many pretties to choose from, I wish I could have them all! And then there's the breeding of daylilies. That in of itself can be very addictive, crossing this one with that, and that, or that, or this--yup, one could get carried away from the curiosity to see what the flowers will look like once they bloom. And hostas are another of my plant addictions, too. So many to choose from, and I just adore the minis, they are so dang cute!

I don't like watching TV either, there are so many other things one can do or learn instead of being glued to the boobtube. Unfortunately, my boyfriend has that thing on the entire day, and all I want is quiet so I can delve into the world I'm trying to write, and write. TV bad, too distracting.

Karen

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am enjoying reading about all these hobbies!

• gardenofeden777
    13 years ago

Gardening 1st and foremost for sure. Playing the piano, books also, especially gardening books. Books on conifers, cacti, succulents, tropicals, subtropicals, grasses, landscape design etc. I have over 100 books just on gardening. Any and every hobby I get a fancy for I collect books on it. Yep, my attic is stuffed too with books.

When it's to rainy and cold to do the real thing out comes my gardening books.

Oh Oh I just bought 2 books on concrete sculptures so when I go buy soil to WS I will buy some bags of quikcrete. Sherri Warner Hunter is the author, got them off of Amazon for cheap. And they rock! Talk about getting the creative juices flowing! All the projects in them are gardening related, and some are absolutely mind blowing!

Rena' BTW- Count me in on the zone wars!

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Gardening is my biggest addiction and I have plant crap everywhere. Florescent lighted shelves in the dining room and you can't walk through the basement or garage for all the junk.

I try to collect nothing but I'm married to a pack rat who won't throw anything away. I read a lot, but buy less books than I used to. My husband and my best friend and I share books, so that helps. We get some from the library, and give away tons of them. Once in a while I take cartons full of books to Half Price books and sell them.

I am surrounded by junk and it drives me nuts. We only really use 1 of our 4 bedrooms and the other 3 are full of stuff- years of furniture, everything my son left when he moved away, (including a full set of dishes, pots and pans, coffee pots, crock pots, microwave, piano) extra furniture that my Mom thought I needed when she moved to the retirement center. A now antique train set. I could go on and on. This crap is all here because other people want it here. At least they can't give me any more- there's not a spot left to fill.

Karen

• shemeows
    13 years ago

I'm glad to see there are other Farmville farmers here too! Aside from that and being a slave to the cats in the family, I quilt during the winter months while waiting for the seeds to sprout.
    {{gwi:353389}}From The Lives And Times Of A Quilter's Cats

• tempusflits
    13 years ago

Wow shemeows, that's a beautiful quilt! I'm a quilter, too, although mine are fairly simple to construct. I'm also a reader and knitter. I find all of the above, plus my newest addiction, WS, helps winter pass more quickly. That, as Martha would say, is a GOOD thing!

I think it'a interesting that we all enjoy doing so many things. WSers rock!

• manda3
    13 years ago

Ha! Even when my brother's not watching the TV he wants it on. He'll turn it to 5.2 or something and listen to the robot voices discussing the weather. I CAN'T STAND THAT! (Especially that chick that says 'cloudy' two octaves higher than any other word.) Don't you have any thoughts in your head you'd like to listen to? Maybe if you'd read a book, you'll have things to think about. Haha.

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

When there isn't gardening to do, I read --- love thrillers, political espionage type mysteries and when listening to RUSH each afternoon, I crochet. We certainly don't need another afghan, but I make them every winter anyway ---- the dogs and cats love laying on them!

Now, I am wrapping them and vaccuum packing them for future wedding gifts for the grandkids.

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

shemeowes,that quilt is Beautiful,wow!I really would like to make something that pretty, I have made a couple,but NOTHING,this nice.Do you sell them?You should
    cAROL

• tomva
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful shemeowes your very talented..

• shemeows
    13 years ago

Thanks! I don't sell them, but I used to enter them in shows before the gardening madness hit me.

I love nineteenth century quilts, and since I couldn't afford the real thing, I make reproductions instead.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

This has been a blast reading and getting to know all of you!

Shemeows - I agree on the quilt... wow!!! I would love to learn how to quilt, I just can't find anyone local to teach me!

For myself, seed addiction is an obvious choice. I can't seem to stop ordering catalogs and browsing seed sites and lord help me if someone posts there's a SALE on somewhere! lol

I spend a lot of time researching gardening tips and how-to's, DIY in the garden sort of things. I can spend hours and hours between this, garden and recipe blog reading, and reading threads on GW... but I try to cram as much in as I can before it's time to finally get OUTSIDE and play in the dirt.

I love movies, I LOVE to read. I can speed thru a novel in a day, so I tend to get my books at thrift stores of 1/2 price book shops vs. paying for a new one. I just finish them way too fast! I think the Kindle is intriguing.. but there's just something about the 'feel' of a book in your hands, turning a page, the sound... I don't know.. just give me a REAL book any ol' day! I've really upped my collection of recipe books and gardening/landscape books the past few years. I also try to collect old Mother Earth news magazines, those are REALLY informational!

I collect anything with butterflies, sun & moon, rocks with faces, turquoise and blue glass garden decor, anything whimsical or fairy-like for my garden nooks. I'm saving for my first bottle tree but it's been difficult finding those blue bottles! I'm working on my first gazing ball, I've been dabbling in mosaics. My most precious items to collect are of dragonfly garden art, in honor of my mom who passed a few years ago. Dragonflies were her favorite.

I finally started a recipe/gardening/whatever's on my mind sort of blog and I've been having fun making new friends thru that. Also finding lots of old friends from school via Facebook has been lots of fun!

I collect ideas. Ideas from all of YOU on GW and other gardening blogs on how to do make things work in the garden. Gardeners are the craftiest souls and I love so much reading up on the ideas that people have come up with for homemade trellises or hypertufa containers, self dug ponds and water features... how to propogate and correctly save seeds... this place has been a wealth of information and I am so thankful I stumbled across it a few years ago!

It's been a pleasure 'getting to know' all of you!

Hugs,
    Wendy / sassyb

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Gardening and activities which support it are my main addictions. This includes reading GW forums and reading gardening books.

Before gardening reading was my main addiction but now I find it difficult to find the time. To increase my reading I now read at least a half hour before going to bed, even if it is very early morning. The library is the source of most of my books. It is easy to request books online and stop in the library to pick them up.

I am a visual person so love TV, especially Masterpiece Theater and other PBS series and mystery/cop series and a few comedies. Most of my TV viewing is on DVR so I don't waste time with commercials. Now I must admit I am a multi-tasking person and I "listen" more than "watch". Using DVR lets me rewind when I realize that I need to watch.

I also collect recipes and cookbooks. Don't often actually cook/bake but love to read recipes and think I will someday use them. And occasionally I do.

• flowerchild5
    13 years ago

mine is definitly scrapbooking. and then reading. 20 books since november!!

• budgiegarden
    13 years ago

Mine are birds! I love to garden for wildlife and I am trying to start a purple martin colony! I have bluebirds that nest every year as well. It's so satisfying to see the goldfinches eating the seedheads you left up for them in the fall!

• snapdragon36
    13 years ago

I love watching the birds.

• tepelus
    13 years ago

I liked feeding the birds so I could watch them, but we have too many squirrels, and the little brats have broken too many feeders for me to even want to try feeding the birds anymore. I leave the feeding to the neighbor.

Karen

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

gardenofeden777, please share the name of those books on concrete sculptures. Sounds interesting. Also am interested in your experiences making them. That sounds like something I would like to do. I need a material that will withstand our freezing winters. I am going to make some hypertufa containers this spring.

I forgot about the birds. Birding is part of my daily life. Sometimes even go on excursions to see them.

I have had one of the weight sensitive feeders for 15+ years like the one below only my top lifts off completely. I like that it also keeps large birds like blue jays and crows from getting seeds. But it doesn't keep out racoons with their nimble fingers. I don't like the ones that have a string on top so you can remove the top by moving a thingamagig on the string. I couldn't get my tube feeder top tight enough and the squirrels would push the top off to get to the seeds. Threw that feeder away as it was so frustrating. I also scatter seed on the ground for ground feeders and squirrels. This is only one type of squirrel proof birdfeeder and I mention it because it has worked for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squirrel Proof Bird feeder

• gardenofeden777
    13 years ago

mnwsgal - Sure, "Creating with Concrete" by Sherri Warner Hunter & "Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden" also by Sherri Warner Hunter

on my way to Lowe's for soil I realized that
    my concrete mixing etc. will be done outside. And it is cold and rainy here. So I am going to have to wait until the weather warms up:( so the crete can set up. Oh well only 1 more month of cold weather to endure.

As for projects that I've completed that would be zero lol
    I just got the books. But I can't wait.

The books are full of color pics. Lots of recipes for all sorts of crete. I promise you will love love love these books!

Rena'

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Thanks, I will look for these books. I meant your upcoming experiences. With our very late spring you will have your projects completed before I can get started. I can learn from your example, be your follower.

I saw a statue of a naked woman by Rodin with her head back and body arched to make a dipped torso. Loved her and thought the concept would make a very interesting bird bath.

• Ann
    13 years ago

Sassybutterfly, I thought the same thing as you in terms of holding a book and the smell and feel. However, I find especially for the "junk" books that I can use the kindle to "buy" the free stuff on Amazon and not feel guilty. I don't think that I will ever not want a real book but it's nice to be somewhere and change books quickly and easily without carrying a huge stack. Also the kindle gives me the ability to highlight and look up words. Ann

• snapdragon36
    13 years ago

We have alot of squirrels around here to. They were always getting the feeders so in the fall hubby made a pole out of pvc. So far its been successful so I'm happy and so are the birds.(trying to post pic)

• palmetto_gardener
    13 years ago

.Those of you interested in Sherri Warner Hunter's books might like to attend one of her summer workshops. I've made a birdbath and helped a friend with fountain (concrete plus tile mosaic). check www.sherriwarnerhunterstudio.com.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I love a real book. Though I am extremely clumsy and I sometimes tend to loose my spot, mainly cause I will fall asleep with the book in hand. Then it ends up on my face, then of course I ROLL. Oh me, sometimes I may spend at least 30 mins to an hour trying to find where I was reading and thinking wait I read that already.

E-reader with the kindle app is WONDERFUL for people like me!! I so do not like the borders app. I haven't tried the barnes and noble yet for android but that will be my next app to install.

1000's of free books with the kindle app!!! They even have a kindle app for windows users.

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

Almost Scared To Admit It
    I can relate to a great deal of the wonderful above 'addictions'. I have read, crocheted, quilted, decorated, beaded, geneology(ied), photographed, cross-stitched, crafted, cooked, etc on and off all my life. But the most current addiction (other than WS and seed trading) is....
    *gulp*
    COMPOSTING
    there. I said it. I compost everything! even egg cartons...toilet paper tubes...one day I caught myself wondering if I could compost a tissue. Decided I should draw the line here or sweetie might have me committed. haha
    Is anyone else draw to this ???

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

My latest besides seeds is reading seed catalogs right before I go to bed. It's not enough to research different varieties online...... nooooooooo.... I must see the pics and read the info on them.

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Nancy, yes,I am, I have been know to pick up a banana peel, and bring it home for the composter,ha ha
    I even have a worm bin, in my kitchen,all food scrapes go in there during the winter,plus, I get free worm tea,and compost.Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,isn't it wonderful.
    My friends think me a nutter, to have worms in the kitchen,ha ha

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

tomva, those civil war artifacts are really cool!

I also read a lot; DH and I have 100s of books. Every room in the house has at least 1 bookcase, LOL.

We turned off our cable TV a year ago when I had almost a month of vacation and could not find one thing I wanted to watch.

Now if I have the time, I just watch old archeology reruns on YouTube.

I started a blog (mostly) about my garden, and have found some really wonderful blogs out there about other peoples' gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden blog

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

nancy, we even have a composting toilet! we compost everything possible :)

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

wow rosemctie !! Thats dedication!
    I have a hard time going to the grocery store and watching them throw away barrel after barrel of produce. I wonder if they might be able to donate it to the shelter (most of it looks perfectly fine)...or at least compost it. I've never gotten up the nerve to ask. Not that I'd be able to compost all that they have but...its such a waste. I guess there are much worse things in the world but...as I said, I'm kinda addicted to composting! haha

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!