SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

My Befores/Your Afters...feeding hosta addiction (pic heavy)

Here are pics of my humble newbies that I've added this year. The want list has left overs for next year that I couldn't find.

The 'staging' leaves a lot to be desired but the plants are what counts, right? Please add any comments and pics if you're inclined...seeing as these hosta are FAR FROM mature, I'm sure some pics will evoke "memory lane" for those who have like-hosta. Lol

It would be lovely to get some 'you can look forward to something like this' examples of your mature ones...before and after kind of shots....either my befores and your afters, OR your befores and afters

I'm in the same category as Don in Colorado and Moc (Barbara) in terms of "getting going" and actively amassing hosta...only in the past few years I've progressed from 'idle' and into 'drive' .....guess what? ....the 'brakes' don't work!!!!!!! Yikes! Lol

Here we go....apologies in advance if any pics are dis-oriented ...."thanks for looking".
Jo.

Comments (55)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Oh, lol, we cross-posted. No wonder I like that one so much. Lakeside Shore Master. Just bought that one :-)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Candy Dish (thanks again, Mocc! :-), Trifecta, June's Spirit (LOVE JUNE and progeny BIG TIME), Baby Bunting (growing from teeny tiny root), Maui Buttercups (another teeny tiny root) and Tiny Tears (thanks, Idiothe for enabling).

• Related Discussions

What are your other addictions! (pics)

Q

Comments (60)
    I love a real book. Though I am extremely clumsy and I sometimes tend to loose my spot, mainly cause I will fall asleep with the book in hand. Then it ends up on my face, then of course I ROLL. Oh me, sometimes I may spend at least 30 mins to an hour trying to find where I was reading and thinking wait I read that already. E-reader with the kindle app is WONDERFUL for people like me!! I so do not like the borders app. I haven't tried the barnes and noble yet for android but that will be my next app to install. 1000's of free books with the kindle app!!! They even have a kindle app for windows users.
    ...See More

Pics from my garden today (very pic heavy)

Q

Comments (50)
    I am so happy to see your pictures again! I was here back then, but mostly lurking, which I still do a lot because I am not very good about id-ing my plants since the dogs destroyed my labels and I gave up There are a few I know the names of, but not too many. You were one of my secret mentors when I started my hosta planting! I am sorry your 'When I Dream' was a disappointment, but there is so much to love about your gardens! Thank you for that!!!
    ...See More

Pics from my gardens (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (37)
    Ron, came across your post which I missed before...what a beautiful place you have. I am in the midst of planting shade companion plants, so appreciate your thoughts on light for the list you have. Hope you will keep posting pics! Oh, forgot...the potted hostas that you overwinter in the garage...do you have any special tricks for overwintering? I have done it 3-4 years now with about an 85% rate, but I'd like to improve on that because I do not like losing even one! I overwintered some out in our shed this last year instead of the garage, and the mice got into them and I lost a bunch. My biggest problems have to do with springtime moisture levels...I do not water them at all in the garage, come spring, I try to make sure at least 1/2 have broken dormancy before going outside. (Leave them in the garage too long, they dry out and die, water them in the garage, or take them out too early, they can rot.) Would love to hear how you handle yours. For this next year, I'm thinking about giving each small one an ice cube in Feb/March. Just to add some moisture back in as the weather warms up.
    ...See More

Our 2nd Year Hosta Garden (Heavy Pic's)

Q

Comments (13)
    Congratulations, MrGary.....you've done an outstanding job. I am saving your post to my clippings so I can go back to it easily for reference. I think the one you cannot remember might be Alex Summers. It sure looks like mine. I won't picture it here, but mine is about the same age as yours....I'm just a sophomore with hosta myself, so our plants are "of an age." I'm pleased to see you are growing Banyai's Dancing Girl. It looks almost like Blue Cadet, and it is a very inexpensive choice to mass plant. Van Wade suggests it as an edger if you ever need such a feature. I edge with liriope here in zone 9a. But I am making a collection of the smaller blue hosta such as BC and BDGirl since I don't like being redundant and I like variety. Things such as Drummer Boy, Dear Hearts, Happy Hearts, Cheatin Heart (golden), Golden Tiara, Grand Tiara, Twist of Lime, Lemon Lime, Feather Boa....well, I fibbed, I just like the smaller mounding hosta blue or gold or green! Thanks for treating us to a beautiful garden.
    ...See More
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jimmy Crack Corn, Guardian Angel (division from neighbour which I left in pail of water and it grew 4 new eyes! one of which shows in pic, rest underground still growing), Blue Umbrellas, Spilt Milk showing progressively more milk lines..(.was growing in sun at growers so is green instead of blue....can't wait for spring and to keep it blue), Rainbow's End and Liberty which is rather a wimpy example as I bought in March in a bag just to try it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mister Watson, Royal Tiara NOT (mislabelled) with variegated sport attached. When I first posted this NOID on July 12th, WILDernessWen was the first to respond with Little Aurora. Mocc thought it was a good candidate for Gold Drop...after checking exhaustively, including today where the first pic i googled helped to make up my mind, I have decided it shall be named Little Aurora. The little sport is showing a faint white line between the margin and the centre colour...bears watching with interest as it grows. May separate, if possible, this year. Next year, when they are both older, I will revisit the 'accuracy' of naming these cuties. stay tuned.....and Raspberry Sundae, a small one-eyed cutie.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Very nice collection. I have Vanilla Cream. This picture is from July in mostly shade but it is more yellow now. I love this one.

Have fun watching them grow.

Beverly

Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbara Ann..a big box store buy of the year..I forgot to keep it in a pot! I've only JUST realized my faux pas!!!!! I've been taking pictures all along and it never hit me till now...boy, age is creeping up on me lol

Original Author
    10 years ago

Last of all, here's the (I'm ducking my head under my arm as I say this lol) HOTY, Rainforest Sunrise. It needs re-siting badly...embarrassing as I know TOO WELL it needs some sun! It was one of two (Liberty) that I thought I'd try growing from a bag, purchased back in March when I was desperate to "grow" something, waiting for spring! It was fun watching it emerge and grow in water in a jam jar. I also bought another bagged Blue Mouse Ears which I ended up gifting to someone. The leaves were cute and the petioles were elongated, living/growing in water. It was an interesting experiment to while the time away.

Thanks for looking and yes, that's all for the pics. I hope they show properly.
    Jo

P.S. I'm like a kid at Christmas when I look at all these new hosta....(similar when Don got his last order) some of mine have disfigurements from grasshopper bites, slug holes, tears in leaves, growing one-sided due to crowding at grower's, blanched from sun exposure...BUT...they will only get better with time.

• jamie81
    10 years ago

Good to see your picture of Wheee. That looks so nice. Did you really just get that this year?

I have had it since this spring, and it looks just like the day it arrived. Been wondering if I have it too deep? too shallow? First year I have ordered bare root plants, and I wonder if I am planting them right.

I'll be optimistic and hope my Wheee looks as nice as yours, next year.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by josephines67 on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 20:55

Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly, thanks for looking and posting your 'after' of Vanilla Cream. It's so pretty and eyecatching! It has the appeal of varying colour hues as it progresses throughout the growing season. I'm going to love it.

Jamie, I picked up the Wheee! very early July. It was big even then. When I brought it home I had to up-size the pot as the roots were filling and touching the grower's pot. I water it...that's it.

You are worried you planted your bare rooted one too deep...well, it's a common mistake and I've done it too, in haste. As long as the crown is above/on ground and not in dirt, it'll be fine. If you use mulch keep it away from the crown. Mulch serves to keep surrounding soil from drying out and is required at the outside perimeter of the mounds, not underneath or near the heart of the plant. The leafy canopy of the hosta naturally shades the soil underneath it.

Remember in the spring when the noses/eyes are emerging? They have these outside sheathes (I call them shrugs, like our little sweaters) ...these should be exposed right to the base when planting/transplanting.

If you want to rest your mind, look at it again. You could gently hose off the soil around the crown...if you find ANY part of the crown below the soil, replant it, it won't mind. :-). If it looks like it should, water when needed... it'll be great next year! We'll check on each other, ok?
    Jo

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

My oh my, you have a wonderful selection of hostas. You have done a great job at choosing! They will be exciting to watch them grow into beauties.

I have a few of the same hostas, but they are small also as I got them this year. But I have had Guacamole since 2011 and Rainforest Sunrise was purchased last year. I am loving them both.

Guacamole (June 2013)

10 years ago

And here is Rainforest Sunrise (photo taken today). It has some hail damage (I hate hail!) but otherwise it is just a cute, bright little thing. Oh, by the way, I somehow included a few leaves of my First Frost. Gee I just don't know how that happened because I wouldn't want to enable you, would I? LOL

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ooohhhwheee but those are gorgeous!!! NHL, those are big leaves on RS...what a bright hosta...my runt has its work cut out! Lol
    BTW...I've already got FF and love it, got it last year...yours looks like it gets more shade than mine, which might explain the beautiful deep colour...enable me with another? Lol. As in....what perennial is peeking in on right corner of FF?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, that's a healthy 'Rainforest Sunrise' New Hosta Lady. Upon first glance, I thought it was a 'Stained Glass'!

Jo, nice thread, thanks for all the pics of your hosta. You are amassing a lot of really cool varieties. It seems with threads like these, I have at least one new hosta on the 'Must-Have' list by the time I'm done reading all the posts and looking at all the pics. This time is no different; Adding 'Candy Dish' to aforementioned list. : )

Cheers all,
    Don B.

P.S.: In celebration of your thread, I'm gonna place another hosta order tonight! Thank YOU for enabling ME, Jo. One hand washes the other, as they say.

10 years ago

The perennial in the right corner of FF is Persian Shield. I really like it, but for me it became a little leggy due to lack of enough sunlight. It didn't think of pinching it to encourage it to get fuller until too late. But I would like to try it again next year and will put it in a brighter spot. My backyard is basically partial shade to deep shade. I would have taken a better picture for you, but it is too late now. I left a leaf from another hosta in the picture for you. You may have that one too. Do you know what it is?

• User
    10 years ago

When you move your Rainforest Sunrise into more sun, do it early in the season and also make it early morning sun at first. I have 2 of RS, and one that I thought was fine ended up when the sun got hot in early August to a total burnout. I'll show it, and also show you the other one, which gets morning sun and just maybe a little bit of long rays of late afternoon sun.
    I took these pictures either today or yesterday, so they are current. Both hosta arrived here in 2012, so in their second year of growth.

The one with morning sun, Rainforest Sunrise is at the bottom of the picture.

and this one WAS in too much afternoon sun as you can tell. So, watch for the long hot afternoons

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc...BBQ in the rainforest at sunrise? Poor crispy critter.;-(. thank goodness he'll recover...and thank you for the heads up!
    btw... i love the detail of the green vein/rib in the middle of the leaves.

Don...celebrate away my hosta friend! and keep gathering. Lol
    Thanks for the compliment n smiles...you know I actually forgot to pick up Paul's Glory...been twice, forgot twice! Even took iPad with want list, notes, etc. still forgot....or maybe Trifecta got in the way? Lol ...I'll send a pic....I know you'll understand my forgetfulness when you see my grower's garden.

NHL...I really like Persian shield...every magazine I own is earmarked if it has a picture of it! You've stumped me on the hosta but it looks familiar..pretty pic....wonder if Paul or Don posted under the blues...have to check.. :-)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I just got some more 'Guacamole' (five more) for the front yard and didn't acclimate them gardually to long periods of sun, so they are frying pretty good. I did that with one I got last year for the front, and it fried HARD from the extra hot days. It's still in full sun, but this summer it hasn't scorched one little bit. Wouldn't recommend doing that with just any variety, but that's why I got 'em; To live in long periods of direct sun, and look nice doin' it. So I'll take the scorch now for pretty plants next year. Also got a mature, four-eyed division of 'September Sun' for the sunny area in front. Been planted there three weeks now, and hasn't showed any scorching, apart from very faint browning on the margins. Pretty good, considering it was grown in high shade in Vermont. I think it's sun-tolerant reputation is gonna hold true. Of course, I water often and generously. : ) Should make for some nice yard pics next season. Also have 'Krossa Regal' out there with 'Mildred Seaver'. KR didn't scorch too bad, but poor MS did. Her second flush of leaves look fairly good though, so hopefully she'll adapt well enough to keep her in the sun permanently. Gotta love, love, love the adaptable and super-tough plants that are our hostas!

Cheers,
    Don B.

P.S.; Jo, more pics please? : )

Original Author
    10 years ago

Happy to oblige...btw..excited about seeing my very own Guacamole Don (its new name) lol..isn't it so appropriate? ) flower any day now...can't wait to see what it smells like.

FYI...been experimenting w Plantaginea in full sun, all day, melting and scorching, not all leaves affected but speedily sending new leaves as well...old girl is toughening up for next year too....tough love..lol. Wonder if I had stayed at home to water instead of going to cottage ... she might have fared better? No biggie, she's doing ok.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll remember your observations about Guacamole...you and Mocc use same strategy Don. :-)

Here's a pic of Striptease taken 2days ago..it gets half day sun so no blue tinge..other half of it is behind. The green dotted plant on left is a Japanese Fleece flower (Fallopia) which acts as filtered shade for Marilyn Monroe. Too much detail in such a small spot. I am working on improving the presentation of some of my hosta and moving them around. I love the change every few years.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Close-up of newbie Hadspen Blue

Original Author
    10 years ago

June's Spirit - utterly lovely

Original Author
    10 years ago

Trifecta...three perfectly clear colours..bright!

Original Author
    10 years ago

I just love this happy looking ray of sunshine...Vanilla Cream deserves a close- up.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Majesty

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

I'm glad you got your Wheee! Looks great! To the other person that commented that hers looks larger than yours... It looks about the same size as mine? I got mine in April and it has been a pretty steady and fast grower for me. So it's doubled in size almost compared to how large it was when I got it. Here it is the day I got it.

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

Here is my Wheee today!

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Maybe it's a stupid question,Josephine,but is that woodland garden yours,and if it is,why do you leave all your hostas in pots,with all that land available? Curious minds want to know. Phil

• jamie81
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice Jo! Hopefully next year mine will look a little more like yours.

Brandy, your Wheee is gorgeous too. Mine was much smaller to start with, and it hasn't changed much since then. I would be thrilled to have the size you started with. I wonder if they increase in size faster if you leave them in the pot the first year?

I'll have to see how mine looks next year. And I have to check the depth I have it planted at....

Original Author
    10 years ago

Good Morning, Phil!

Good question...and thanks for checking out my post! :-). Unfortunately, the woodland garden is not mine...it belongs to my grower (well, one of my best suppliers of hosta) and I was explaining to Don my lapse in memory. I supplied the pics as an excuse for absent-mindedness Lol

She has a successful home business called Hosta Fever so most of the hosta in pots you saw are for sale. She must have well over 800 varieties and hundreds upon hundreds for sale. This year she has encountered (one of our most talked about subjects on forum lately) encroaching root problems from her trees. Aside from the necessity of it, she sees advantages of potting up more display hosta ... It would enable customers to get closer to the subject of their desire lol. I'm getting too flowery here ...pun..it also affords her a "change" whenever she feels like it..just pick it up and place it elsewhere.

Thanks for looking...hope you gardens are doing great for you!
    Jo

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Good collection of hostas, Jo. Enjoy your enthusiasm and participation on the forum. Keep the pics and posts coming.

Paul

10 years ago

I was wondering if that was your garden too! Glad you cleared that up!

Just want to point out that the Persian Shield is actually an annual not a perennial. It really is a standout. I just pruned it days ago (because of its legginess), so I don't have a good picture. But when I took this picture, I realized what a standout it can be.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

I'm so jealous of you "pot heads." Only allowed two pots in my community so my addiction can only go so far :( Love seeing your gorgeous photos. Here is my after of 'ginsu knife.' (year 2)

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

My "Guacamole Don" bush....at 3 years....

DD

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sooo loving the "after" pics...Donna, your Ginsu Knife is splendid!! I considered it my lucky day when I picked it up....it was the only one there, half of soil missing from pot...and at checkout I actually saved $5 ! I do hope it sends up flower scapes...nothing so far.....LOVE the stark, clean, perky contrast of pure white flowers on your specimen.

Guacamole Don is a bush alright! Don't you just love these over-achievers!?! lol. Good pick-up on the name, my dear! Had me laughing out loud, still grinning...I'm so enjoying myself.

You know...I think I deserve a break...just mowed the lawn so I'm reclining on my swing and looking around the yard....the burnt lawn ( not guilty) because SOMEONE thought they could pile it on as it was advertised as 'non-burning' fertilizer...rofl...gotta laugh...or you'll cry! It sure would make a nice hosta mosaic if I planted each burnt chunk with hosta. lol lol lol.

NHL...I used to get a Persian shield each year (it grew huge) awhile back..it's such a nice foil in the garden...I have to tell you that I'm a perennial freak...rarely do I plant annuals....they do provide colour and filler when needed, and I have two planters filled with cordaline and petunias but that's about it. I have colour going on till frost and later...my miniature roses bloom into January weather permitting. I've actually had annual salvia (blue one) return the following spring, each year, but it does not return after that. :-)

Thanks for the encouragement, Paul. BTW, do you recognize NHL,s blue hosta leaf, right side in her pic? I think you have it?

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Jo -Here is an after after photo of ginsu knife. I wanted you to see that the flowers are not pure white. I moved the guacamole to the back of the garden with the help of my son so its looking a little stressed right now.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

NHL's blue leaf is, I will guess, 'Touch of Class'? Just a guess, but it's awesome whatever it is.

Regards,
    Guacamole Don

10 years ago

You got it right, Guacamole Don!

Touch of Class

Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no! Wish you hadn't reeled me in with that one, NHL! What a beauty...to think that I had it in my hands but put it back because Lakeside Shore Master distracted me! Should haven taken it too....I'm collecting June's family, after all. Note to self... 2014 List updated

Good eye, Don!

How long does it take for a GUac to recover from transplanting, btw? the leaves are thinner, so maybe a week? This hosta specifically would benefit from Ken's masking tape trick prior to transplant I'm thinking...

Original Author
    10 years ago

DD..please explain the two-pot allotment? I'm looking at your "land" , reading the pot comment...am confused.?

Btw...I HAVE told you, surely, how lovely a setting you have for your hosta? To die for.....dramatic comment, but just the same....you, Guacamole Don, Paul, Jim, just to name a few...are so fortunate to have the "woodsy" environment for gardening in...it's simply beautiful, so peaceful, so quiet, so serene.

I find that most times while viewing posted photos, after the initial riveting on a hosta, I step back and really take a long, slow look at the "whole" ..I'm one of those that takes their time with pics...love looking at and appreciate details.

It is so gratifying and heartwarming to have such an outlet....this forum.....an endless supply of beautiful pictures of beautiful hosta, taken and grown by beautiful individuals.....who give of their time and themselves, over and over and over again, tirelessly. It is food for the soul.

Grateful...
    Jo.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Josephine,my garden is winding down,I'm afraid to say. Too much rain,and it is August,and the hostas have been up since March,but they still look good,(at least most of them). Some early risers have already disappeared,but there's always next year! My plants fron Ken,are still hanging in,as they are still on Michigan time! Lol! Koriyama is blooming,even. Phil

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Jo - To answer your question - I have lived in an active retirement community for years and with that comes restrictions. We are limited to two pots and are allowed to suspend one or two pots from a hanger.

"My" garden is one I actually created for our community to enjoy at my expense (which is fine with them). It is an island approximately 40 feet from my front door.

I was quite content with it until I joined this forum and went crazy. Next year it will look dramatically different as I have removed, replaced and added new hostas. Some before shots.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Front view -

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

One more - You cross over the bridge, go around the bend and voila!

• User
    10 years ago

Donna, I've been around the bend a few times myself, but I'm not yet ready to cross over the bridge. :)

You are a great example of a determined gardener. If there is a will, you will find a way to garden. With beautiful results, and a welcome addition to your community.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahhhh, thank you, now the light in my head just turned on!

Well, DD, hats off to your generous spirit, for one. Secondly, you have done an amazing job. You have single-handedly enriched the lives of your fellow residents. They are fortunate to have you among them. Bless you, Donna!

I look forward to seeing the changes/additions next year.....and, Donna, Ken says he still doesn't get the "running". Lol lol. Do enlighten him lol lol. You ARE funny, nuthin' weird 'bout that! Love it,
    Jo

• maow
    9 years ago

Hey Jo,
    Could it be your NOID is my NOID too? The first photo between JOTL snd Guacamole, the one with wide light yellow margin and soft green leaves. Have you ID the plant?

• maow
    9 years ago

Leaf close up of NOID.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Maow! Look what you found, eh? Lol

First off, I just have to say again that I think your NOID is beautiful! I really hope mine will turn into that!!!

I just took an update pic of Knockout and the NOID as it looks now...still small leaves but I attribute it to overwintering a division in a pot in this climate. I'm undecided where to plant it but I better come up with an answer soon. It will grow much better in the ground.

Earlier I posted a thread where I thought I might have id'd the NOID as being Knockout. Ken thought it was close enough that it may be a Knockout. I hope it flowers so we can narrow it down some more.

For now I have pics filed under both NOID and Knockout albums.

See what you think, Maow. We could always revisit it in the fall if we can't get any closer I.D. now?

Original Author
    9 years ago

I should add that Knockout is exhibiting upturned leaves (drawstring effect) just lately. The more I look at it, the more I think yours is Knockout.

If it isn't, I'm stumped till we can compare flowers. :-)

Jo