SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeremy0

Seaweed tea/extract?

jeremy0
15 years ago

I want to start a completely organic vegetable garden next year and I've been doing a bunch of research on the subject. I've been reading a lot about home-made liquid seaweed extracts lately. I have a lot of questions and would like some opinions from experienced seaweed tea makers or anyone who can point me in the right direction. I've searched google intensely and still haven't gotten good decisive answers to these questions.

-First off, the process of making it sounds too simple to me. From what I've read, all you need to do is chop up a bunch of seaweed, soak it in a closed container of fresh water for 1-3 months, stir occasionally and you end up with a very concentrated nutrient solution loaded with micro-nutrients.

-Wouldn't this process make a good home for all kinds of pathogens, especially sitting stagnant for so long?

-Do I need to use seaweed from the ocean or could I use some from a fresh water river or lake?

-I've read varying recipes for the proper ratio of water to seaweed. Can someone give me a good recipe?

-Does the seaweed dissolve completely, or is straining required?

-How concentrated is it? If I wanted to use it for soil feeding (rather than a foliar spray), how much tea per gallon of water should I use? If I wanted to add it to the soil in early spring before planting, how much do I need?

-If I wanted to make a large batch and use it through out the growing season, how long could I store it for and how often do I feed it to the plants?

-I've also read that this stuff contains very little "soluble" NPK. Does that mean that it's not available to the plants at all, or does it mean that it will become available gradually over time, making the tea more of a time-release fertilizer?

Thanks!

Comments (4)