SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimengele

Free MTD tractor

jimengele
10 years ago

So I have this tractor that I can have if I can fix it. I discussed the transmission in a previous thread.

Some time ago, the previous owner informed me there was a lot of damage done to the wiring by a mouse or rat. They took it into a shop who informed her they replaced the ignition switch, the wiring harness, and performed other routine maintenance duties, $300. The machine still occasionally stalled out on her and she gave it away for free to me.

I checked it out and determined that the ignition switch had not been replaced, the wiring harness had been removed and replaced with direct wiring. All safety switches had been disconnected and one safety switch was missing completely (the blade engage lever). The headlights were disconnected, the battery recharge circuit was disconnected. The wires were gone. Just the very basic wiring was intact. I discovered that the wire to the anti-afterfire solenoid was very loose and that was what was causing the occasional stall.

For now, I would like to rewire the battery recharge circuit and I wanted to know what the best way to do this is, what type of wire (18 gauge?). I have determined the alternator is a split 3 amp/5 amp (yellow wire, red wire). I don't know yet if there is a diode on the yellow wire but if there isn't, what type of diode should I use? I know that this 3 amp line recharge circuit could be wired directly back to the battery but I was thinking of reconnecting it through the ammeter. For that matter, should I connect it to the battery through the ignition switch? There is a terminal that connects when it's in the 'on' position. Should I install a fuse in this circuit? Where is the best place for the fuse? I'd eventually like to hook up the lights as well, perhaps through the ignition switch to the battery as well. Of course, I'd like to hook up the safety switches as well, one thing at a time.

Ace special edition
MTD
13AG675G033
Tecumseh Enduro OHV16

Comments (13)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions