SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimengele

MTD tractor

jimengele
10 years ago

I have the option to have a tractor for free if I can fix it. There are a bunch of problems with it that I think I have correctly identified and come up with solutions. Some of those I would like to run by the forum to see what others think starting with the biggest problem, the transmission.

I was test driving this "free" tractor, and It ran fine. I drove around a bit and then I was having trouble going into neutral and then forward. When I finally did move forward, I heard a crunching sound and the transmission case busted open. I have since taken it apart after watching youtube videos and looking up the parts diagram online. The part that broke, is a bolt that holds the 'spider' gears of the differential together. The bolt is broken right where the threads are and I can't find a nut or the broken off part anywhere(I have the bolt with aluminum washer). This actually seems like an easy fix to me. I think I can just put a bolt in there with washers on either end, locktite the nut on it, make sure it's short enough that it won't hit the casing. I'm wondering two things: Can it really be that simple, and: what caused the bolt to break in the first place? There shouldn't be any torque on these gears, they float freely transferring power from one side to the other as needed right?
Unfortunately, the parts diagrams online don't show the differential parts, they only list the differential as a whole, $190. The broken casing I am JB welding back together and maybe some fiberglass reinforcing over the outside (the upper half is undamaged, only the bottom case is broken).

MTD 13ag675g033
transmission: 618-0163A

I will post pictures if needed.
Jim
Massachusetts

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions