SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Should you plant grafted trees with the soil above the union?

njbiology
14 years ago

Hi,

Although this question focuses on fruit trees, it applies to all trees:

Should you plant grafted trees with the soil above the union?

I make certain that I planted my pawpaws, American & Asian persimmons (all 1 centimeter whips and small saplings) so that the top of the root systems begin at just bellow ground level; this means that there is a good 2" to 3" between the ground surface and the graft union.

1. I read conflicting advice: some say that the way I did things is best because it keeps the trunk from rotting (girdling).

However, others on the GW have suggested that you should cover the trunk to just above the union so that, in time, roots will emerge from the grafted scion's base so that if the tree dies back to the roots, the re-sprouted sucker will be that of the cultivar and not the initial rootstock. This makes a lot more sense to me - EXCEPT in cases where the rootstock is needed for its dwarfing properties (i.e. as with dwarfing rootstocks for cherries and apples). If this is true, then I would imagine that pawpaws are a fruit you would really want to do this for, since they often die back, plus when the pawpaw puts forth suckers a few feet away from the trunk, the resulting colony will be that of the cultivar and not of the wild rootstock.

By the way, I noticed that one of the American persimmon trees had a yellow line which was 2" above the root-system and 1" bellow the graft. Should I have planted the tree so that the soil-level is level with the yellow line?

*Also, with the Asian persimmon, there is an odd union common to all of the Asian persimmons that were grafted so that it is not straight, but instead, the point of the union is crooked then straight upward. If the idea is in fact to bury the union, should I bury the entire union - maybe it will be good since the D. virginiana rootstock will offer winter hardiness and having some of the root-system coming from the Asian persimmon will perhaps eliminate concern that the union may grow weaker in time?

2. When planting trees, I always keep the ring around the tree completely level and consistent with the surrounding ground level. Then I place the mulch 2" high around the trunk, while keeping the mulch just a bit away from the trunk to prevent rot. However, even in arboretums, I see that trees are planted a few inches above ground level (that the soil is higher) and THEN increasing the mound is 1" to 3" of mulch. What is the best practice? Except in situations where you have a low-spot in the yard and drainage is a significant concern, what would be the long-term advantage of having the soil which is 3 or so feet around the base of the tree a few inches higher the regular ground-level?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (6)