SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_sun

selection of evergreen tree or shrub

glenn_sun
16 years ago

hello gardeners---We are trying to decide what tree or shrub is best for this situation. About 40 feet from the house,we have a line of 9 red cedars in east west orientation--about 130 feet across the line(they are cramped for space)---years ago a lazy family member thought of an easy way to get rid of a few weeds growing under the trees. a herbacide was sprayed under the trees, the lower brances took 2-5 years to finally die and the needles all fell off these branches about 4 foot up from ground-i finally got permission to cut them out--now there is a space where these cedar boughs used to cover--now a busy gravel road is visible,and there is certain loss of privacy

--my Mom wants that space "filled"--there is pasture behind the line of cedars,with a sunny southern exposure, slopeing downhill towards the road---so we can block the created space from behind

--There is a sense of urgency, my Mom is 83 years old, very spry, but whatever We put in should something that grows fast. We cannot afford pro tree co. and tree spade, but i can dig & prep however many good holes needed with nice loam and old barn soils-along with whatever soil conditioner will help kick start these new trees/shrubs. Additionally, i can provide water for them by hose this year, drip irragation next year.

---the area to be planted is wide-100 yards wide, and slopes downhill from the house, so whatever tree/shrub we plant only nees to achieve 3-5 foot of growth height to block out the view of the created space under the cedar trees--(being redundant hopefully to maintain clarity).

could someone please recommend a good evergreen(type)tree or shrub that will do the job.

thank you and have a great season

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting