SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Milk Jugs vs. 2L Bottles ... and the winner is?

highalttransplant
15 years ago

Okay, this is my 3rd year to wintersow, and I have been using mostly 2L bottles, with the occasional milk jug up to now. Well, my DH decided to kick his soda habit (couldn't he do that in the summer, LOL), so today when I started my WSing, I had 5 of the 2L bottles, and seven milk jugs. Here is my side by side comparison for anyone interested.

Milk jugs take longer. With the 2L bottles I cut the bottle in half, cut a couple of upside down V shaped tabs and I'm done. Cutting the window of the milk jugs takes about the same amount of time, but rigging the flap up so that I can put the soil and seeds in is annoying, and then I have to tape the flap back down, or use wire or something to hold it together.

2L bottles are more economical. In addition to having to use tape on the milk jugs, I've also found that it takes more soil to fill the milk jugs, since they are wider. I can get the soil deeper using less soil with the 2L bottles.

Milk jugs take up more space. In the milk crates I use to keep my containers from blowing around the yard, I can fit 11 2L bottles. I can only fit 4 milk jugs in those crates! More space = more complaints from DH about the clutter on the patio!

I know some loyal milk jug users will give me a good thrashing for posting this, but in my opinion ... 2L bottles WIN, hands down!

Now I just need to find a new supplier!

Bonnie

Comments (41)

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

I love both. However, I prefer jugs for winter sowing and 2 liters for spring and summer sowing. I use both each season, but I do have preferences, here's why:

In the winter, 2 liters heave and thaw a lot and seeds can run down the sides. In the warmer temps, neighbors can see the jugs, while the clear 2 liters are more transparent.

Otherwise, they are both great.

• clumsygrdner
    15 years ago

It's totally okay! You know what? I liked Milk Jugs because of the reasons you don't like them for!

Big jugs equalled more seed and less soil I had to use. So I liked the jugs because they were big. The Soda bottles were too small. I couldn't fit my fat hands in far enough in without getting scratches. Big milk jugs were heavy enough to sit outthere without blowing around too. I hated having stand in the freezing weather to jostle things around so I could fit soda bottles into the few crates I had. Plus, I could see inside the jugs better.

Oddly enough, I never had to pin or tape any of my milk jug flaps. I cut opposite the handle so that the upper corner of the jug fell in the middle of the flap. All I had to do was to bend the corner inside the jug and it was stay open on its own. To close, I just snapped the corner out and it went right back into place. Couldn't do that with soda bottles...

So... we all choose for different reasons, mostly personal. I mean, I don't know how fat your hands are. LOL

Also, we don't drink soda at all so I had no supply. :(

My favorite of favorite containers though were the hard plastic Folgiers Aromaseal containers! Cut a circle in the top for light, seal with some plastic wrap and you were good to go! I love those things! In fact, I started to use them them for many other things: Storing seeds, holding cut flowers, stashing tools. One's sitting on the kitchen counter holding kitchen scraps for compost! Potting and holding bareroot perennials... You name it, they can handle it!

• Related Discussions

10 Uses for Milk Jugs

Q

Comments (62)
    I got this in an email from BHG. The Magic Milk Jug For sheer versatility in the garden, nothing comes close to the humble plastic milk jug. Save both half-gallon and gallon sizes to create these garden helpers. 1.Seed flats. Starting your own seeds is the easiest way to cut your gardening costs to the bone. And it's the only way to get many of the newest varieties. To save space and bother, start seeds in shallow trays filled with potting soil, then transplant the strongest seedlings to pots later on. To make free seed flats, cut off the bottom three inches of a gallon milk jug and punch a few holes in the bottom with a nail. Fill with potting mix, and use a pencil to create two or three shallow furrows for sowing. Then plant your seeds according to the packet directions. 2.Mini greenhouse. In northern zones, young transplants and seedlings are easy prey for spring and fall frosts. Protect them with their own personal greenhouse. Just cut the bottom off a gallon milk jug and, when a cold snap is in the forecast, place the jug over the plant. You can regulate the temperature somewhat by putting the cap on or taking it off. Just be sure to remove the cover on warm, sunny days to prevent turning your greenhouse into a sauna. 3.Flexible scoop. This simple scoop is fashioned from a half-gallon plastic milk jug. It's great for distributing fertilizer granules or potting soil in tight spaces. To craft it, make two horizontal cuts on the sides adjacent to the handle, and two forward-slanting diagonal cuts in the other sides. 4.Liquid fertilizer distribution system. Okay, the name might be a bit of a stretch, but this idea is a winner. Use plastic milk jugs to mix up liquid fertilizer, then punch a hole or two in the cap with a nail. Use your "system" to deliver a dose of plant food to even the smallest pots or plants. 5.Protection plus. If you use a cold frame to extend your growing season, line the inside with plastic milk jugs filled with water. The water be warmed by the sun, and will help reduce temperature swings inside the cold frame. The result: a lower chance of frost damage at night and overheating during the day.
    ...See More

Caps/Lids on 2 Liter bottles and milk jugs?

Q

Comments (4)
    The terms caps and lids can be confusing. The screw on or pushed on cap should be taken off. This is the part that closes the neck of the container. When one cuts the jug or 2L the top half is often called the top or lid. This is not taken off until after germination. I do not cut holes in my top/lid. The neck opening allows enough air circulation and collection of rain/snow that other holes are not necessary. I do lift the tops/lids a small amount at first or completely remove them in the spring when I know the sprouts will survive in the open. Some people add holes to their tops/lids for germination rather than lifting the top part way. Do which ever you want or try some of each to see what works for you. If you have a flat, such as lasagna pans, various salad containers, bowls w lids, other flats that you cover with plastic, there is no neck opening, then you need to add holes in the lid/top to allow rain/snow to enter and for ventilation when you sow your seeds.
    ...See More

New style 2L bottles-Boo!! Hiss!!

Q

Comments (12)
    I did like those classic coke bottles but switched to Pepsi when young. Hope they don't fool around with their bottles. I wouldn't bother with those coke bottles for WS'ing then and probably a trade off between cost/volume effectiveness vs. nostalgic appeal. Coke has lots of collectibles. I can tell the difference in the taste but sometimes not in restaurants. It has to do with the syrup. We used to buy "fountain cokes" where they squirted in coke syrup and added carbonated water, better than bottled coke or pepsi. Drinking out of a can I don't do unless hot and thirsty and no other choice, tastes different. I wonder how long that new bottle will last though as to sales, hadn't seen or heard of it yet.
    ...See More

Reducing weight- milk jugs?

Q

Comments (5)
    I use water bottles, soda bottles, Styrofoam. I still save any large blocks of styrofoam for filling planters. Very light and it does the job. They all work well. Have done this for many years. I did the same thing on a large deck. Filled the big planters up with anything I could get and just put a few inches of soil on the top. Mainly planted geraniums, petunias, impatients, etc. They did very well. Jane
    ...See More
  • loisthegardener_nc7b
    15 years ago

After several windy days blew my soda bottles over, I have to say I prefer the milk jugs. They didn't budge!

But I still have 2 liter bottles since I have so many seeds to sow, I can't really be choosy. The soil in the bottles that blew over was frozen solid, so I don't think I lost much.

I don't cut windows in my jugs; I am very lazy in my jug and bottle preparation. I just cut them almost in half, leaving about 2 inches between the start and finish of the cut as a hinge. Then I poke 4-5 holes in the bottom. When I am ready to fill with soil, I just force the top back almost double until it stays open, then fill with soil and seeds, then force it back again. I might have to poke the inside of the hinge if I am working with a jug to make the top come back down. It usually ends up being only a quarter inch open. I don't fasten it shut because I figure the whole point of winter sowing is for the seeds to get good and cold. (And I am lazy)

I know what you mean about the amount of soil it takes to fill a jug vs bottle, though, and the amount of space each takes up.

The most important thing is that wintersowing is fun (and addictive)!

Lois in PA

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

No winner for me. I like them both and each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Bonnie, I just bend the flap up on the milk jug until it stays up by itself. Since I do 12 jugs at a time I bend the flap up on each, add mix to each, lining them up on my clothes dryer. Then sow one at a time. I do not tape or use anything to hold the flap down. Just push it down. It doesn't matter if it doesn't completely close.

I like the handle on the milk jugs. Makes them easier to move and lift so I can peak in the top looking for seedlings. They are also very sturdy and less likely to blow over or be knocked over.

I like that most of the 2Ls I use are clear so easy to see if there are sprouts.
    I plan to use more 2Ls this year because I have been collecting soda trays that hold the individual 2Ls. Other years I have just put them on the patio by themselves, surrounded with jugs.

{{gwi:196378}}

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

How about posting on your local freecycle?....or let everyone you know that you are on the hunt for 2Ls. :)
    I just planted the 'first' box of them that my BIL saved for me....now just waiting impatiently for the next lot.
    gg

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Bonnie, no one will thrash you, lol! Well, at least not for this!

But that being said, milk jugs are the definite winner for me. I don't drink soda, but drink about 5 glasses a milk a day, and my kids drink a lot too.

Milk jugs are more stable; I've had soda bottles tip over in the wind (although now if I use an occasional bottle or two, I've learned to cut down the top so it's not so tall). I don't use crates so that doesn't factor into the equation.

I agree that flaps in milk jugs are a major pain in the butt. So I don't do flaps. Takes two seconds - probably less - to cut the jug in half on three side. Voila. Done.

Milk jugs are bigger - yes, they need more soil, but I can sow more seeds in them!

I second the recommendation of using freecyle to look for soda bottles. I posted last year for milk jugs when it turned out I didn't save enough. That helped me get enough to finish my sowing.

:)
    Dee

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I had a feeling folks would have opinions about this topic, LOL!

Well, I have tried the one sided window approach, which didn't require tape, but it was harder to get my hand in to put the dirt and seeds inside. I have also cut it almost all the way around like you were describing Dee, but then when you try to pick it up by the handle the whole bottom half will flop down and spill the contents unless it is taped or wired shut.

There are a few things that I liked using the milk jugs for such as lettuce, where I am sowing a lot of the same thing. When I am doing perennials though, or things like tomatoes, where I only need two, or three plants, the milk jugs seem like a big waste of dirt and space. Maybe if I had acres to fill, instead of a 60 sq.ft veggie patch, I might like the milk jugs more : )

Thanks GG and Dee for the freecycle suggestion. I've asked my church to post the request in the newletter, but if that doesn't work out, I may try freecycle next.

Bonnie

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

I haven't tried 2L bottles ONLY because I don't have any!! (DH is a chemist and not a fan of plastic.) I have only scrounged up the milk jugs AND went on freecycle.org and a lady had kitty litter containers that are clear and HUGE!! I called my local recycle center and was told I could not dumpster dive. Now I'll have to drive a ways. I'm hoping the town fills the dumpster on Sundays and I hope they drink pop, or anything, from 2L plastic bottles. I also want to try the totes but I can't bring myself to buy any...

• irisgirl
    15 years ago

Bonnie & A&H_mom et al,
    Last year I grew tomatoes to sell as an income supplement. Being only a 2nd year W'sower (ie. NAIVE!) I used the 16oz. water bottles because my DD had a ton of them and was unable to take them to the recycler. So I sowed 3 seeds in each and when they got 1st set of true leaves culled the smallest, left the middle one in the bottle and put the biggest in a Dixie cup (not the teeny tiny size, the next one up).

Hate to mention brand names, but these were the Aquafina bottles. Found it very easy to get the same amt. of soil in each, tag them all the same, etc. I then filled up most of a raised beds with rows & rows of bottles.

It worked pretty well, except for having to get some of the babies out of the bottles early as they were getting leggy. I made well over $100 selling tomatoes on 2 weekends. I know more & more folks are moving away from using water in plastic bottles, but for WS they worked fine for me. I even saved & cleaned almost all of them to use again this year.

Regards,
    Irisgirl/Carol

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

I am finding myself using more 2L this year. I have a teacher who saves these for me as her husband goes through several bottles a week. They take less soil and are good for the seeds that I don't have a lot of. I put them in the middle of the other jugs I use and this keeps them from getting blowed over. I am saving the milk jugs that I have for emergency use only as I find them hard to work with. I've yet to find a way to get them to fold back because of the handle. I have found that the square nursery water bottles are perfect because there is enough depth that you can cut 3/4 around under the handle and they fold back easily. Lucky for me there have been a slew of babies born at school and people are willing to save them for me. I plan on saving these and tie the handles together and hang them in the garage.

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

proudgm: If you cut a little farther around the milk jug corners, just below the handle, they're easy to fold open.

Karen

{{gwi:351842}}

Gallon jugs remain my favorite. They hold a large volume of soil, are slower to dry out, never blow over even in strong wind, and afford lots of sowing space. If I'm only sowing a few of one seed type, I use a half gallon jug or 2 liter.

Karen

• suecirish
    15 years ago

This is my first year, and I didn't discover the wonders of WS until late summer, so I have been experimenting with lots of different types of containers. It is only DH and I and we don't drink much milk or soda/pop, so I only have relatively few of each of those. Of the two I think I prefer the milk jugs. BUT, we do drink lots of coffee and I have recently started buying the Folgers aromaseal in the red canisters too like clumsygrdner. I really love these. I have both the large and a few of the small. I drilled holes in the bottoms and cut out the inside of the cover. I then used the heavy weight freezer ziplock bags cut into single sheets. I cut several vent holes in the plastic, placed them over the tops and put the canister cover ring on over the plastic sheet to hold it in place. These are very sturdy. We have had three heavy snows and a couple lighter storms since they have been outside and the plastic sheets haven't caved or budged a bit. They are wide enough to seat well and not blow over, and they are definitely getting water/snow through the vents. These have defintely become my favorite to use to sow. We'll see how they are when the time comes to take the seedlings out.
    {{gwi:351843}}

{{gwi:351844}}

• duane456
    15 years ago

For those who use milk jugs and say they use too much soil-----if you cut a piece of cardboard out to fit inside the jug, making two halves out of the jug, you can plant two different types of seed in one jug.
    Duane

• columbusgardener
    15 years ago

I am not just a casual WSer I am a lazy gardener - I love 2 liters bottles. And when I feel the need to go out and WS something I just wait until trash night and then walk the dogs with a really big trash bag. I pull them out of their recycle bins and do my own recycling. The week of Thanksgiving was a 2 bag night! So they are easy to get.

I love the variety of seeds many of you have shared with me - so I love sowing alot of different seeds. 2 liters give me that ability without dividing up and cutting and otherwise wasting alot of time getting a variety of seeds in one milk jug.

I jam them into bread trays - they hold about 35 2 liters in them - no blowing the tops stay on ( we just had 40 mile hour winds and they are all intact).

My germination rate is about 99% in 2 liters and 80% in milk jugs - not a scientific study but just my own records - I think because they heat up quickly and will help heat each other. Milk jugs are opaque and do not let in as much natural sunlight. Of course this is a problem too - it does require watering them when necessary.
    But the bread trays filled with bottles are fairly light and I just throw them in the kiddy pool and let them soak up water. More thrifty than top side watering. One other item that may aid in my germination - I have a paver patio that I have the trays on - I really believe that the bottom heat has aided in the germ rate. ( much like a thromb wall)

so they fit the bill for me -
    cheap
    easy
    variety
    higher germ rates

Here is a link that might be useful: last year ws'ing

• terrene
    15 years ago

And the winner is...well it doesn't seem like there IS a winner, people like both, and it is interesting to read about people's preferences. THe flexibity of WSing is one of its great assets.

I like the milk jugs for sowing more seeds, usually 8-12 seeds, and occasionally HOS style. They are readily available, easy to cut and remove sprouts from, and then recycle afterwards. However, I have tried prepping them various ways and don't like the fact that the plastic is thin and the whole container is kind of wobbly. The seeds were prone to getting washed down the sides because wobbling of the container would shift the soil. They are not easy to re-use and the ones I saved got bent out of shape in the big garbage bag.

The 2 ltr bottles are great for growing plugs of grasses, or for sowing fewer seeds so the result is one or a few strong individual plant(s). They are easy to prep and to rinse out and store. I put these in a crate or box to prevent them from tipping over. I also suspect that the transparent plastic stores a bit more solar heat than the translucent milk jugs.

My favorites are the large plastic salad boxes. Strong plastic, NOT wobbly, easy to prep and fill. I use cardboard dividers to sow more than 1 type of seed. The top is very easy to take on and off, and slide under the container, and no tape necessary. Easy to rinse, stack and reuse. I also used them to raise Monarch caterpillars this summer so they served a double purpose! :)

{{gwi:351845}}

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

terrene, I find that the milk jugs with a window w or wo a flap are very stable and have not had any problem with them getting crushed in the bags for storage. I also hang jugs with a rope from a hook in the garage. Make a slipknot at each end of the rope. Loop the rope through the handle of one jug. Slide other jugs onto the rope. Hang by the end of the rope.

The salad containers do look like a great container for winter sowing.
    I use the salad containers to start many of my indoor sown seeds. Sow seed in a small pot or seedling pack and place in salad container. Put lid on. Place in a warm area and wait for germinaion.

Great reuse in raising caterpillars.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

It's funny how several different people can look at/use/discuss the same object and have different opinions!

I like the milk jugs because I find them to be the most stable and sturdy containers of all! Yet others here find them wobbly. Isn't that interesting?!

Proudgm, to hold open the cut milk jug while you sow, just plop your scissors into the neck of the milk jug, from underneath, from the inside, from the cut end (trying to find the clearest way to describe this, lol!). The weight of the scissors holds open the top very easily.

As far as closing the milk jug, it's really not that hard. One twist tie or one piece of tape along the cut edge opposite to the hinged edge, and you're done.

I love threads like these because I love to keep up on all the different containers and different ways everyone sows. I can learn so much and get so many ideas from these threads!

So the winner is... all of US, not any specific container!

:)
    Dee

• clumsygrdner
    15 years ago

What are those black spots in the picture, Terrene? Caterpillar poop?

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Dee, here, here!

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Or is that hear, hear?

• terrene
    15 years ago

Mnwsgal, I like cutting the flaps, but then how do you get the seedlings out? I ended up cutting apart the milk jug and then recycled it. I'm finding it so much easier this year to re-use containers instead of having to scrounge them up again.

Clumsy, that is indeed caterpillar poop. Those are 5 5th instar caterpillars (the biggest stage of growth) and they were siblings that I collected as eggs. They start out as tiny caterpillars but grow into eating pooping machines! I had to collect milkweed and clean their container several times a day and was glad when they pupated.

It's very exciting when they eclose and a perfect, fresh butterfly emerges. Female monarch just before she flew off my finger...
    {{gwi:351846}}

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

terrene, I just flip the flap up and either stick my hand in and scoop up some seedlings or use a spoon. Sometimes I cut the top half off with my Black & Decker scissors.

I also use the window with a plastic bag. I cut the window guite large so it is easier to get seedlings out.

I reused many containers last year and will again this year. Think I kept all my 2Ls and a large amount of jugs. Last year I sowed over 300 containers and expect to do about 1/2 of that this year.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

The problem with cutting the milk jugs below the handle is that it doesn't leave me enough depth.

• tosser
    15 years ago

I like milk jugs best because they're so big and easy to haul around, but I like the 2-litre bottles for 1-3 plants because it's kind of like a mini terrarium. And they look fairly nice if you want to make a gift of several plants.

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

OK, before I do something drastic to myself, can anybody tell me why you don't just cut a 2 liter in half, plant it, then put the top back on? I just planted 19 of these and thought I followed (somebody's?) directions very carefully i. e. drainage holes in the bottom, cap off, "V" vents, etc.

Why do some folks just "hinge" the top and bottom? Am I missing something? Will my approach work OK, or have I really messed something up? BTW, I'm a WS virgin....hahaha. So much for being experienced.

• columbusgardener
    15 years ago

if you made holes in the top for the intake of water and holes in the bottom for the drainage of the excess water - and the top half of your "jug" is on - than you did it right. I think when the say hinge they are refering to the use of milk jugs - by only cutting 3/4 of the jug in half you would leave a "hinge"

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome to your new addiction, Retiredprof!

Of course, I can't speak for everyone, but I believe folks are only using the "hinge" on the milk jugs. On the 2L bottles if you don't cut the little upside V's in the top half, it won't really go back together. The V's allow you to push the top half back down over the bottom half without having to tape it.

Hope that helps!

Bonnie

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

I cut the milk jugs above the bottom of the handle - all the way through so only the handle connects the top to the bottom, thus the handle becomes the hinge. Before doing this, I also found that the depth was a bit low.

I LOVE the Monarchs!! I am growing a few different milkweeds and hope I attract some. I'll have to read up on raising them as I know my 3.5 year old will love it.

Today I ventured out to a recycle center that gave me permission to dumpster dive and the bin was still empty!! Since I felt I had wasted enough gas to warrant a visit to a prohibited recycle center - and I wonder where my kids get this from??

I parked right in front of the camera as I'm not THAT scared of the recycle authorities, and to my dismay, I couldn't reach a single useful container!! Even with a ski pole, my arms were too short. I did consider tossing my 3.5 year old in, but only for a split second and he remained safe in his car seat.

As I was leaving, someone who waited for 6 months to visit the recycle center was carrying bags and bags full of WONDERFUL containers. I took the whole lot. Unfortunately I read this too late. There was only one 2L bottle and I cut the whole top off - no "V"s!!

SO MUCH to learn and remember!! Thank You for the great suggestions!!

I know I've read a past posting by Bonnie stating cut "V"s, and I just lopped the top off!!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I can see that photos are necessary to clear up the confusion!

Austinnhanasmom, YES you do cut the whole top off

{{gwi:351847}}

THEN, you cut the upside down V's in the top half, so that it will slide down snuggly over the bottom half:

{{gwi:351848}}

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Bonnie

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

((HUGS)) for the photos:)

Now I can easily use my lone 2L bottle!!

Thanks Bonnie -

• barb422
    15 years ago

Hello winter sowers. I mostly lurk these days, but thought I'd pop up to say I don't cut the top off of the 2L bottles.

After I put slits in the bottom with a steak knife, I hold on to the bottom end(sturdier) and cut the bottle all the way around leaving just about an inch for a hinge. I cut lower on the bottle too. I used to do it the same way for the milk bottles too, the with the hinge being right at the bottom of the handle. I do always close with duct tape opposite the hinge.

I always liked the milk jugs better, but we've been taking milk delivery for a year so no milk jugs anymore. I like the service, no more late night or early morning runs to the store for milk.

Too bad we're no closer highalt, I could trade you all my pop bottles for milk jugs. : )

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

I was wondering about the germination rate in the coffee containers. Since they are not clear do they get enough sun? I tried using opaque gallon yogurt containers with the lids cut out and plastic last yera and it seemed like I didn't get very good germination with them. Does anyone else have this problem?

• sajeffe
    15 years ago

I know winter is almost over but I'm going to start my first ever WS today. Thanks to all of you for this thread. I've read with great interest and took notes. The photos were very helpful too because my brain doesn't work so good. I don't drink milk or soda so just yesterday I posted on freecycle.org. This morning, a woman came to my house and dropped off a bunch of 2Ls and a few gallon jugs!!! Gonna go play with some dirt now.

• suecirish
    15 years ago

proudgm, this is my first year WSing so I'll let you know about the coffee containers in a few weeks! But my WS mentor thought they would be fine... we'll see.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sajeffe, congratulations on your container score! Glad this thread was helpful to you.

After my DH quit his soda habit, I was worried if I would have enough containers, but I posted a notice in our church newsletter, and now several families are bringing 2L bottles in each week. I'm growing a few extra tomatoes plants to give them in exchange, so it's a win-win deal.

Bonnie

• marthacr
    15 years ago

Well I tried the 2L soda bottles this weekend. I have been using gal milk jugs w/ twist ties. I cut the tops off the soda btls and made the V cuts in them, and I lost several tops to the wind. So I vote for the jugs!
    Martha

• v1rt
    15 years ago

It's my first time too. I use both. I like the 2 litre bottles since it doesn't require adhesive tape. If I recall correctly, I got the cut idea from token. It's really tight and secure. I can even lift the bottle that contains wet potting mix at the opening. I'm not good at describing how the cut is done but I'll try. :D hehehe

1. Cut the 2 litre bottle in the middle
    2. Once they're cut, grab the upper part and cut a 2 to 2.5 inch vertical from the bottom
    3. Voila!

Putting them back together: The lower part of the bottle goes inside the upper part

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Sorry you had trouble losing tops to the wind, Martha. I also make three v cuts in my 2Ls and have never lost a top to the wind. They fit together tightly though I have occasionally had a bottle come apart when carried by the neck.

• MLcom
    15 years ago

Grow mostly tomato seedling here, do not like soda bottles, they just dont work for me. It is a milk jug or I dont bother. Do want to try kitty litter jugs this year. Thinking bigger is better idea.

ML

• chrizty
    15 years ago

my first year wsing. im using both. i kinda like working with the bottles better. cause the lids are easier to put back on. i kinda do like highalttransplant's pics. only one slit on the bottom.n i can push the lid back down, no tape or ties needed.

• terrene
    15 years ago

Another variation on the 2-liter - I put 2 slits in the upper half, about 1-1.5 inches long, directly opposite each other. This allows the top half to spread apart just enough to slide over the bottom. Then I push the top down nice and snug. No way they are going to blow off, they're snug enough to lift the bottle without a problem.

The 2 liter bottles are very easy to rinse out and re-use when they're cut this way.

I have also cut all the way around and left a hinge, tape or no tape, but when it comes time to take the seedlings out, the top needs to be cut off anyway.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH