SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

Cross pollination - good or bad???

linrose
14 years ago

I know this is a general subject but I am curious as to what all of you have experienced with cross pollination of certain plants. For my part I am mostly concerned with Echinaceas and Phlox right now. I have seen both cross pollinate and seed into my garden. I am usually happy to see the results but I sometimes want to see the varieties stay pure, especially the short-lived ones.

One of the reasons I am asking this is because I am trying to create a prairie pocket garden with a rare echinacea - the Tennessee coneflower. If I plant it with Echinacea purpurea and other varieties of it, will it cross pollinate? Will I lose the original plant in the mix or should I isolate it from the others?

As for the Phlox, I have many varieties in my garden, both tall and dwarf paniculatas and many other species. I am beginning to see color variations in some seedlings which is fine, but I do like to control height sometimes. Has anyone else seen cross pollination in Phlox with color and height changes? I think I had a Nicky cross with David and now I have a tall pale pink phlox. Or maybe Nicky crossed with Purple Paradise or Jr Dream and thus the pink. And now I have three dwarf phlox in the same bed, a lavender, a white and a dark pink. I'm too busy to weed out the seedlings - should I let them stay?

Comments (6)