SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Yellow outer leaves and no blooms

lilion
17 years ago

Hi! I'm somewhat new to African Violets and I'm trying to save one I was given about 8 months ago. It is in a 4" pot and at it's widest it is about 8" across. It came in a "pot within a pot" - a plain black nursery pot inside a lovely little blue ceramic pot. It did bloom all the time, when the blossums browned I deadheaded it and more came right away. I water from the bottom, lifting it out of the ceramic pot and putting water in it then lowering the violet back in. It is at my office, so it has gotten dry a few times over long weekends, but has been kept fairly moist. We do have some fungus knats flying about thanks to some spider plants gone wild, but I've looked and not seen any knats on the soil of the violet like I can on the spider plants in the next room. It seems fairly rootbound, you can literally pick it up out of it's pot without dropping any soil. Only the old, outer leaves are yellow. I have cut them off in the past, but as soon as I did other's turned yellow. It hasn't bloomed now for three months or so.

I really don't want it to die! Any suggestions? I've always loved African Violets. My mother was wonderful with them and had dozens, but I killed every one I inherited from her. I'd so like to keep this one alive.

Comments (6)